Eye Care Expert Forum
Irritation in inside corner of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Irritation in inside corner of eye

About four months ago I developed irritation, slight redness & the feeling of a foriegn body in the corner of my right eye near the tear duct.  It went away on its own within a couple of days only to reappear a few weeks later.  Again, it resolved itself quickly.  However, it has once again reoccurred.  Could this be the sign of some type of infection, or would an infection not resolve itself on its own?
These type of cases require a very careful examination since I cannot tell what is going on just from your description.  I've seen cases where a small eyelash was turned in, or trapped down in the conjunctiva or a small calcium deposit or a small pterygium or papilloma.  There a many possibilities so see a good ophthalmologist in your area and use artificial tears often in the meantime.

MJK MD