Eye Care Community
Is Lasik safe after 6 months of eye injury?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Dear Dr John,

I had written to you a few months ago (see below for more), explaining my situation of an eye injury which happened 6 months ago on my left eye (Oct 2007). Currently my eye pressure is normal, have no inflammation, but still see floaters and have dilated pupil (relatively less dilated than before). However, I still experience on and off redness in the eye during the day. I have been checked for glaucoma, cornea, etc and things are normal.

I am being checked almost every month by a great ophthalmologist(in California). He has checked my corneal thickness and has done all the other preliminary tests for Lasik and suggested that I am a good candidate for Lasik to correct my astigmatism and near sightedness.

Since I experience redness (lower eye only) sometimes, I was still not sure to go for Lasik. I do not want to complicate the injury and cause another trauma on my eye. Do you think my cornea will have the ability to heal back after Lasik? Do you think I will have any other counter reaction?

I would be grateful to you if you give me your inputs on this.

Thanks and regards,
SG

Previously written message on your blog;

Hello, I am 26 years old female. I got badly hit on my left eye by a birdie(shuttle cork) while playing badminton exactly 5 weeks ago. I went to ER and also got immediate ophthalmologist care. I suffered from hyphema, inflammation, dilation of the pupil and high pressure in the eye. Thankfully, I did not have any vision loss.
Unfortunately, the eye pressure of my left eye has still been high (22-26). I have been taking medications for the increased pressure. However, to reduce the inflammation, I was taking 1% Econopred plus from a month now. The doctor told me that Econoplus is a steroid and can increase the pressure of the eye, hence I have stopped it completely. Right now, my inflammation is gone and hyphema is cured, however my pressure is still high and my pupil size is still big. From the last two days I have been experiencing floaters. Could you please let me know if there are any chances that the pupil size will reduce in future? How long can I expect for the floaters to go on and the pressure to come down? If I am having glaucoma already, is it life long or will it go away if treated?

This discussion is related to Eye injury while playing badminton.
I would be concerned about the partially dilated pupil. Big pupils often mean big problems. Lasik doesn't stress the conea that much. I would however get a couple of opinions before havig lasik. See a glaucoma specialist if possible or corneal specialist.

JCH IIMD