Eye Care Expert Forum
Is cataracts and eye squints genetically inherited?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Ok so i was born with cataracts. I have had an exceptional recovery as the doctors say that I'm one of the only few who pass their driving tests after such severe surgery. After my operation, it had resulted in me having a nystagmus and eye squint. I just wanted to know if this was genetic in case I decide to have kids. The doctors say the chances are very low and even if they did, they would have the same recovery rate as me.
Bilateral congenital cataracts could be genetic and passed on to kids.  If and when you do decide to have children, they need to have a full ophthlamologic exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist by three months of age.

HV