Eye Care Expert Forum
Is it safe to use Cialis after vitrectomy for retinal detachment?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I've had two surgeries for retinal detachment, with the most recent surgery involving the injection of silicone oil to stabilize the retina.  Is it safe to use cialis during the recovery period for some gentle sexual activity?
Call your retinal surgeon since he is the one who did all the work.  If I had one of my personal patients with recent major eye surgery I would probably give it the ok after a few weeks as long as things were gentle.  The only two issues would be the changes that can occur in retinal circulation which are generally not thought to be dangerous or permanant and secondly and probably more importantly one might want to avoid vigorous physical activity soon after major eye surgery but I think after a few weeks and some common sense that could be worked around.  Again, I cannot give you specific advice, please call your surgeon.