Eye Care Expert Forum
Is slab off part of a prescription for eyeglasses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

No need to go into slab off definition.  I need it for one eye.  The originating optometrist is refusing to add it to my prescription (the exam and work cost @$150 alone) and has come up with a hokey excuse for not doing so.  I want to have the script filled elsewhere due to the lack of frame selection and now this issue.  I'm in Western North Carolina in case rules change from location to location.
Slab off is something that is added to the bifocal segment of some prescriptions to avoid irritating side effects.  It is not always necessary and any eye doctor could tell you if it is necessary from simply looking at your prescription.

HV
I need a way to edit my original note.  My bottom line question is, is this legal?  

One of two things happened:

1.  The originating optometrist "forgot" to add slab off to the prescription when called about it from the second office.  But refused to allow it.
2.  This is a possibility since I asked the originator what the cost would be and was told it was included in the price.  I think they forgot and now want more money to make the glasses.  (The excuse was if it wasn't done by another place correctly, it becomes the originator's responsibility and I said that didn't make sense.)

I do have a cataract removed in one eye and normal bad vision with only the beginning of a cataract in the "slab off" eye.  It has been this way for six years, so I do not expect this to be used as an excuse why the slab off cannot be made and, more importantly, the originator would do the slab off.

I just spoke with Asheville Eye Assoc., a huge muli-fauceted eyecare company here.  They said they cannot add a slab off without the prescribing optometrist's permission.  Since the slab off is part of the prescription now being withheld, it means I have a fight on my hands and will take them on from different directions.

Thanks for your info.  Apparently this changes depending where you reside.  Buyers beware and fight for what's yours.  This means the prescription (if I manage to get it) costs $154+ a drawn out fight.  I'll state the name of the withholding optometrist in other forums.