Eye Care Expert Forum
Is there some other reason for pressure behind eyes besides glaucoma
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is there some other reason for pressure behind eyes besides glaucoma

Dear Doctor:  

I am 42 years old and in relatively good health aside from hepatitis B and degenerative disk disease.  Two years ago, I started having a very drastic change in my vision.  My lens had to upgraded because my vision had gotten worse.  The optometrist noted that I had an extensive amount of pressure behind my eyes.  I have been getting a sharp pain in the right side of my head and my right eye seems to "ache."  I have spent 18 years in front of a computer doing medical transcription.  It's ironic that I know the dangers of not taking care of one's health, but don't have availability of insurance or the ability to make the money in this field anymore to pay for it.  Please give me some advise.  What else could be going on?  Thank you, Doctor.
Related Discussions
284078_tn?1282620298
What did the doctor mean by pressure behind the eye?  Did he mean a pressure sensation with headache and pain or did he mean elevated intraocular pressure.  I can't diagnose you are treat you over this forum.  I can, however, give you some good advice:  see an ophthalmologist as soon as you are able to be evaluated. Possible causes include keratitis, dry eyes, uveitis, glaucoma, migraine headaches, cluster headaches, sinusitis, and other more serious things.  Good Luck.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA