Eye Care Community
Is vision flare normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Is vision flare normal?

i am a 17 year old male, and i have high myopia -8 in both eyes. Ever since I can remember, my vision sort of flares upward in dim conditions such as night time. When my vision flares at night, i still have the same visual acuity as daytime, and i have never had any type of problems in the past. When i noticed my eyes sort of get worse,(alot of computer usage) my flares have increased, and when i get a new prescription it mostly dies down but never fully. An optometrist once told me that vision flares are normal for people with high prescription. Is my condition normal?
i also have astigmatism in both my eyes of -1.25
my vision flare also increases temporarily after i have done close work for awhile.
Have you read the article "entoptic phenomenon" in Wikipedia?
Since we only have 2 eyes I suggest but remember that I'm not a doctor that anyone see an Opthomologist M.D. at least once a year for a complete eye exam even at your age.  If something between those visits changes get back in to see him/her ASAP.  When it comes to your eyes you can never be tooooo careful.  It's better to be told that nothing is wrong then for the doctor to say why didn't you come in sooner.   It's good to get a base line check with an Opthomologist.  I feel establishing an eye history with one is important.  
See an EyeMD for an eye exam.   You may have large pupils causing this.  

Dr. O.
does this symptom sound serious though? i have had this for as long as i can remember. It doesnt really bother me at all, but i want to know if its harmful for my eyes.
this symptom also seems to die down when i put in contacts..
anyone