Eye Care Community
Itchy eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Itchy eyes

I've never had anything wrong with my eyes before, but two days ago my lower left eyelid started itching.  I was surfing the internet so I didn't think any thing of it and rubbed it ( on the outside) for a few seconds.  As the minutes passed it itched more and more.  When I went to look at myself in the mirror like ten minutes later, a bump was forming on the bottom lid of my left eye.  It looked like after a mosquito bites you and that weird bump that occurs shortly after.  So I thought it must of been a mosquito...But in Winter? So that night around 11pm when i was watching TV my right eye started itching too.  But it was on the inside corner of my eye.  I didn't touch it and just tried to wait out the itch.  But It got worse(itching) so I went to look in the mirror and the same thing that happened to my left eye happened to my right eye.  Both of the bumps were in the middle of my lower eyelids. Then as the minutes passed it looked like it expanded all throughout my lower lid.  It had a itchy burning sensation on the outside of my eyes.  Then all of a sudden it felt like needles were poking the tear hole on the right side of my eye.( the top eye hole where tears come out) It felt like that for a few seconds then it stopped.  It kept on itching so I put some hydrocortisone around my eye then went to sleep.  The next morning it was gone and looked like nothing ever happened, but later on that night it happened again around the same time... Around 5pm to 11pm. I don't want to go to the doctor, is there anything else I could do?  And what is this???
Tags: eyecare
The sudden appearance and response to hydrocortison indicate likely allergy. But to what? You come in contact every day with literally scores of things that can cause those symptoms.

You can use cold compresses, the HC to the lid and Zaditor drops OTC for the eye.

IF persists or gets worse see an eye MD find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD