Eye Care Expert Forum
Itchy white bump on caruncle

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Itchy white bump on caruncle

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

About 5 years ago, my left eye was very itchy for about a week, and afterward I noticed a small white bump had appeared on the pink inner eye area (caruncle).  The itchiness did go away, but the bump never did.

Fast-forward to this week.  The same eye has been bothering me, and it seems that the same bump has gotten bigger and is very itchy again.  My tears are also causing some stinging in that area, but that could just be caused from irritation due to me rubbing my eye.

Any thoughts on what this could be or whether an ophthalmology appointment would be worthwhile?
Great questions. I'll bet it's an allergic reaction and related to some type of inclusion cyst. I'd go for the appointment because rarely there can be an abnormal growth involving the caruncle.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Thanks much!  It's no longer bothering me so you're probably right about it being some sort of reaction, but it's about time I had it looked at anyway.  I appreciate the response. :)
Hi Marie! I think i'm feeling the same way too. This Monday (Feb 11, 2013) morning, as I woke up my left eye hurts. It hurts when I blink and when I touch the caruncle area (I don't touch it internally). I asked my classmates about it and they said maybe just an insect bit me and the pain in blinking will wear off eventually. Tuesday, I felt less pain. Wednesday, I felt least pain but my caruncle itches. It is really itchy. From time to time i kept on rubbing my eye but I thought it would make it worse so I controlled myself not to rub it. Thursday (TODAY, Feb14, 2013) I entirely felt no pain anymore :D but my caruncle itches but its unlike yesterday. Today, my left caruncle doesn't itch that much anymore. Still today, as I was washing my face. I stare at the mirror and saw a little white bump on my left caruncle. I compared my left caruncle to my right caruncle (which is fine) and saw a difference. My right caruncle has no bump, while my left has. I'm scared. I don't want to have a inclusion cyst.

Can u ask the doctor about it? Please, I need your help.
For what it's worth, I've had mine for years, and it's only bothered me the first time and a few weeks ago.  It's fine again and hasn't grown...so there's no need to be scared.

Currently without insurance, but if and when I'm able to go to the opthamologist I'll be sure to update on here!  If you have insurance, I definitely encourage you to go!