Eye Care Community
Jerky,Bouncy, Vibrating Vision????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Jerky,Bouncy, Vibrating Vision????

Ok about a month ago I was under a lot of stress not geting any sleep and having some anxitiy issues. I Always felt run down and tired head aches stiff neck etc. I started to notice that I was feeeling very spacy or detatched if you will. It felt like my vision was off like I was hung over or drunk but with out the alchohol. I then started to notice that my eyes were burning, more so my right eye. I also noticed that the vision field in my right eye was starting to jerk or bounce around if I looked at something, more so at angels like down or to the right side. I went to see my doctor about 2 weeks into these sytoms I told him every thing that was going on he did full check up said that every thing looked fine. He said that it was probably stress and anxitiy precribed me some vallium 10 mg said to take one before bed each night and that should held me get better rest. As far as my eye he suggested that I see a nero optimologist. So after that I followed up with a highly reccomended eye doctor. I then explaned the situation to him he then did a full spectum of tests. The exam took about 1 hour 30 mins. seemed very thorough. In the end he said that I had a slight astigmatism in my right eye which I have had since I was a chid that I knew of. My vision is some what blurry but I can still see images pretty clearly and read 50% of most print in my right eye. My left eye is still in good shape not quite 20/20 but not far off.He then wrote me a precrition for glasses to wear during the day for driving. He said that I would not need reading glasses or biofocals and the every thing else looked great. He said that the jerking or bouncing was probably lack of sleep and stress I sould be fine once the stress has gone away. Well the symtoms (symptoms) still continued after a week I then went back to my doctor and explained that I was still having the jerky or bouncy vision in the right eye. But the other problems were getting better now that I was getting better rest that the head aches the stiff neck the burning of the eyes with the exception of the right eye were getting better. But that I noticed that my right eye was still buring still bouncing or jerky and that now I seemed to notice that it is worse first thing in the morning and that some days were better than others. At one point, at it's worst that it almost felt like my right eye was trying to cross while the other eye was focused really weird sensation. That it would happen through out the day but only last for mybe 3 seconds then stop and be able to focus again.I also have some eye pain behind the eye heres the really weird thing is I have not noticed any decress in my vision not holding things closer or futher away no double vision no halos no dizzyness no other sytoms at all. My vision seems fine its just the jerking or bouncy part it's not my eye physically the doctor has looked  and so have I on several occations. The eye stays still I can read the news paper a book read on the computer just fine i do notice that the bouncing or jerking in the right eye can last all day or just part of the day and stop completly or just have a mind of its own. Any way then doc. recomended that I have blood work done full blood panel and full urine panel. The results came back and said every thing was fine nothing wrong blood sugar everything great. Well its been alittle over a month now I can take a full vallium and be up all night long almost all other symtoms (symptoms) have dissipated with the exception of the burning and the jery or bouncy vision the only thing that I was not able to follow through with was fill my precrition for my glasses. Im starting to wonder if this is the reason why this is happening but kind of jaded to due to all thr results, dont want to spend another $400 or $500 dollars on glasses if this is not the problem. But at this point Im willing to try anything anyone have any answers or insight please help me this is driving me crazzyyy!!!!!! The only thing left is to follow up with a neuroloist I think ???
This is not likely a glasses problem at all. If its persisting and worsening then seeing a neurologist/neuro-ophthalmologist is indicated.
JCH MD
OKay long story short. I have been to numerus doctors, the last neuro opt. diagnosed me with Superior Oblique Mayokmia a rare eye disorder causing your feild of vision to bounce, jerk, or vibrate ect etc etc..  I have done research on meds. botox, surgery etc. does any one else have S.O.M in this form? If so any words of wisdom advise experences etc.. I have been dealing with this for a short time about 2 mounth now. It has deffinatly changed my life my vision is 20/20 in left and 20/25 in right the S.O M has effected my right eye and from my understanding and research it usally only affectes the right eye and there is no real medical explenation as to why this disorder happens. Never the less it seems to be worse some days or just okay on others. Mornings are really bad have hard time driving some times or just doing every day things. Any one PLease help!!!!!!!  
just wrote a long post back to you but not sure where its gone :(
Hi...i know exactly how you feel...ive had the vibrating/jerking vision for over 10months now and have been pretty much house bound ive stopped driving and working as everyday tasks like you say are difficult but i get the dizziness with it and feel off balnce when i walk round as the sensation is making everything difficult...ive had over 24 injections of botox but had no success so my opthalmologist reffered to me to a professor in oxford eye hospital UK  a opthal-neurologist....i have the vibrating vision but also when i half close my eyes they twitch uncontrolably he said hes never seen anything like it before as he said it was so fast so they took some blood to test for k-channel gated potassium channels or something along those lines and they came back normal so i had a epg where they put a needle round your eyes  and test it using an electrical frequency and the results came back abnormal and showed a frequency which is limited to a condition called neuromyotonia ( isaacs syndrome) but mine is only affecting my orbicularis oculi muscles...some people get it in there body but mine is isolated to my eyes....i understand how you feel its horrible and i felt like i was going nuts as when you look at my eyes they look fine but i know there not...in regards to treatment at the moment im on a course of epileptic drugs called phenytoin but ive been told they tke at LEAST 4 weeks to maintain a level in your bllod so i wont see results for 4 weeks now im only on day one of week 3 n not noticed anything but not expecting to yet...i cant tell you how much i want these to work im nly 27  and my life has changed dramatically...ive also been referred to another neurologist which is closer to me than oxford so just waiting for my appointment to come through which should be in the next few weeks so i guess ill see what he suggests if these drugs dont work....its so frustrating and i think the symptoms of SOM are definately what ive got to ...are you on any madication to try and resolve it? if so would be grateful to any feedback of any meds you have tried as i need to get my life back and soon im on anti depressants as i cant cope with it...its always there even when i close my eyes i can feel/see it moving..do you have this to??? i to do not know where it has come from the doctors dont either they say the cause is unknown which is obviously frustrating as if we dont know how we`ve got it then how do we know what not to do!! be great if you could stay in touch as i though it was just me suffering through this horrible time....keep in touch
Honey :) x