Eye Care Community
John C Hagan III--Mini Monovision...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

John C Hagan III--Mini Monovision...

I have just finished a Cataract Eval--my right eye is pretty bad (blurry), the left just starting.  Other than minor astigmatism, he said my eyes were fine--I don't wear glasses now.

Since the right eye is my dominant eye and also in the worst condition, the surgeon wants to do this one first.  To see if I can tolerate MonoVision, I have done a contact lens fitting.  But my right eye is already kind of blurry, so when they put a "reading" contact in my LEFT eye, I basically had poor distance vision.  I don't think I proved much--then they tried something with a 1.50 (plus/minus--I don't know) in my left eye--this was better at distance, and I still could read ok with it.  As I measured with a tape measure, I found that I had optimal clarity at exactly 15 inches.  But I spend MUCH time on computers and would love to get that focal point on the left eye to about 24 inches.  I think this might help it with distance also, right?

I have come to a conclusion that I would like the right (domonate) eye to be great at distance, and the left eye could either be set ALSO for distance, or maybe compromised to read a computer screen  (24 inches?).  What would be the recomendations for me--I don't mind wearing glasses to read...  I know you posted something like -.25 dominate, -1.25 near--Is that what I am looking for??

Oh, another note:  My surgeon keeps talking about lasik to fine tune the IOL, if it is not right on.  Is the science not very exact--can't they get VERY close with the IOL so I would not also need lasik?

Thanks, Mike