John C Hagan III--Mini Monovision...
I have just finished a Cataract Eval--my right eye is pretty bad (blurry), the left just starting.  Other than minor astigmatism, he said my eyes were fine--I don't wear glasses now.

Since the right eye is my dominant eye and also in the worst condition, the surgeon wants to do this one first.  To see if I can tolerate MonoVision, I have done a contact lens fitting.  But my right eye is already kind of blurry, so when they put a "reading" contact in my LEFT eye, I basically had poor distance vision.  I don't think I proved much--then they tried something with a 1.50 (plus/minus--I don't know) in my left eye--this was better at distance, and I still could read ok with it.  As I measured with a tape measure, I found that I had optimal clarity at exactly 15 inches.  But I spend MUCH time on computers and would love to get that focal point on the left eye to about 24 inches.  I think this might help it with distance also, right?

I have come to a conclusion that I would like the right (domonate) eye to be great at distance, and the left eye could either be set ALSO for distance, or maybe compromised to read a computer screen  (24 inches?).  What would be the recomendations for me--I don't mind wearing glasses to read...  I know you posted something like -.25 dominate, -1.25 near--Is that what I am looking for??

Oh, another note:  My surgeon keeps talking about lasik to fine tune the IOL, if it is not right on.  Is the science not very exact--can't they get VERY close with the IOL so I would not also need lasik?

Thanks, Mike

Please repost on an odd day.  Dr. Hagan answers on odd days.

Dr. O.
Thanks for the update.  Maybe I should not have addressed the question to any particular Doctor, but saw his name come up from a related post.

Thanks, and feel free to address this question if you have any interest.