Eye Care Community
Just pink eye, or something worse?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Just pink eye, or something worse?

The other night I noticed a lot of white 'gooey' stuff coming from my eyes, I didn't know what it was so I continually rubbed my eyes all night. Felt some pain and slowly more and more swelling. Also, whenever I  looked at light I saw rainbow rings, following around where my pupil would be. the next day my eye was swollen 3 times it's size, almost completely shut. Treated it with antibactrial eye drops and a hot compress several times throughout the day. the next day it was a little bit in my other eye. Less 'gooey' stuff was coming out and swelling was decreased. It was repeated through the next day just the same, not getting better or worse. The next day however it had almost cleared up completely. Today, however, much worse. Now it's my other eye that I am seeing rainbow rings in, much much pain, feels very dry and sore and swollen. So much white gooey stuff is coming out of my eyes it's clogging up and making my vision very blurry. My eyes feel so watery and a stuffy nose as well?

Is this just really bad pink eye or should I go to a doctor and get this checked out? I've never heard of rainbow rings in light with pink eye and neither has anyone I've told... it's lasting much longer than ususal (day 4 and I can garantee it won't be gone by tomorrow as it's 10pm and I am at the peak of my discomfort)...why the sudden worsening as well?
You need to see an ophthalmologist. If yu live in USA find one near you at www.aao.org if not ask your family MD for a referral. If you wear contacts leave them out.

Call now

JCH MD