Eye Care Community
KF ring and Wilson's Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

KF ring and Wilson's Disease

Hi. I was randomly reading up on medical facts this morning and came across something called KF ring, which is indicative of Wilson's Disease. I think my boyfriend might have it. There is a brown-colored ring around his blue colored iris. Many of the articles suggest that the KF ring is the most unique feature of this disease and I am very worried. He is of Eastern European descent, which is a high-risk group for Wilson's Disease. I also know that his dad suffers from chronic GI problems and eye problems.  He is healthy right now in his early twenties, but I read that the disease may be asymptomatic for years. My questions are:
1) Could the ring in his eyes be something other than the KF ring? I think it was mentioned somewhere that such a ring  may be caused by hypercholesterolemia, but would that be the case at such a young age?  
2) Should he test for Wilson's Disease, even though he is healthy?
I want to make sure I get a good understanding of the disease before possibly bringing it up. Thank you so much for your advice.
You can probably relax. Wilson's Disease is very rare. A KF ring is in the CORNEA not on the iris. What you describe is likely a hazel colored eye. If he hasn't had an ophthalmologist look at his eyes in 2-3 years go see one. Locate one near you at www.aao.org     Have Him tell the MD's staff of your concerns BEFORE the eyes are dilated and ask them to tell the ophthalmologist to look at the eye before dilation.

JCH MD