"Kaleidoscope eye"
Hi - I am a 58yo male and wear multifocal specs and use computers a lot in my work. For several years I have experienced bouts of a particular disturbance in both eyes at the same time. It starts out as a small prism like effect which gradually spirals in my vision - then after a few minutes it slowly dissipates. The effect really isnt in my eyesight as it is still there when I close my eyes and cannot be blocked out. I sit quietly, avoid light and have a drink of water during the episodes. I dont experience any especial pains such as migraines etc and seem to fully recover. I think it may be related to lack of electrolytes and mild dehydration but would like some guidance onthe possible causes. I know of only one other person who has the same symptoms but hers goes on to be a migraine. Any thoughts please?
That is a classical description of eye migraine (often has no headache) but in a small percentage it can be due to diesease of the brain, heart and blood vessels.

Use the search feature, archives and health topics to review the many discussions of ophthalmic migraine.

Then make an appointment with an Eye MD for an exam and to rule out eye migraine or transient ischemic attack.

JCH III MD
Tonight I had the same thing happen. 2 days ago I had a brain angiogram after having been in an RTA 4 months ago with serious head injuries. The results came back fine, with no aparent weaknesses. I spoke to my cousin who also had a brain angio before Xmas & she has these visual episodes semi frequently. I have no idea whether to be worried, contact the neurosurgery dept where I had it done, or just get on with things. Ive never had anything like this before. Hmmm... Any ideas?
The approach to this is ONE rule out organic disease of eye, brain, heart and blood vessels.  If negative TWO make diagnosis of migraine (if not headache) eye migraine if headache then classic migraine.  TREAT MIGRAINE if frequent attacks.

JCH MD
I spoke to the doctor who carried out the Angio & he refused to link the Angio procedure I'd had with the visions I had 3 days later. This may have been easier to accept if my cousin, after her angiograms, had not had exactly the same visions. I was just concerned there may be a weakness after my Angio. I have an appointment with an Eye consultant on Thursday although Im not sure he will be able to shed any light on the subject.
I would say that if the symptoms occured within 24 hours of an angiogram then that might be the cause but 3 days later I would agree with what you were told. No likely.
JCH MD
I've been having these same "visions" for years and each time I ask my eye Dr. about it he  dismisses it and says it's nothing. Mine don't swirl around my eye but stay to the edge of my periphery and appear as long sqiggiley kaleidoscope shapes. Happens in both eyes only rarely at the same time. They last anywhere form 10 to 60+ minutes. Is there ANYTHING I can do about them? Medications, Supplements, etc?
See a neurologist. There are medications both to prevent from occurring as well as to abort an attack as it starts.  With a history like that its almost always eye migraines which often do not have headache.

JHCH MD
I have exactly the same symptoms described by morgar. I am 62 years old, female and also a computer for hours on end in my work. The 'flash' is in both eyes at once, and I had the same reaction as morgar, I go in the dark, lie down and wait. The kaleidoscope starts very small, but within seconds I can't see, vision seems to blur. In about 10 minutes, the circle grows larger and eventually disappears. No pain of any kind. This kaleidoscope effect started a few months ago. I saw my eye doctor recently, who immediately said she could do nothing about that and to see my general practitioner. Apparently the problem is not in the eyes, but in the brain. Can my GP prescribe something for this?
For a several years I've also experienced these squiggly shaped things in the corner of my right eye (its ALWAYS my right eye). At first its a very short squiggly line  then it starts to lengthen. I can see objects, and their colors, but the little squiggly line distorts the image.... its like a thick squiggly line of broken glass... that fit together like a puzzle... ( i know it sounds wierd but that's the only way I can explain it) ....And then it'll disappear. A few minutes later I'll have a HUGE headache with nausea.... I usually take Advil right when the squiggly line appears and try to find a dark place to sleep and rest my eyes BEFORE the headache starts because its the only way I've found that helps with the pain... Why do I get this? Is there anything in particular that causes this and what can I do to prevent it or stop it once it starts?
I am having an episode right now.  It has been several years since I had one.  I'm 60 years old, and work at a computer most of the day for the past 18 years.  I have no pain with this, and it appears in both eyes, and starts out small and continues getting larger until it is gone.  Is there anything that can be done for this?
I have been having this for years,It starts as blurry vision in one eye or the other,then the  kalidoscope spinning starts out small then gets larger and last for about 15 minutes , i also feel weak and shaky. i have a badly damaged neck, i always think it is a pinched nerve, it seems to subside quicker when i start moving my neck around a little bit, just wondering what you think about the nerve thing, coulld it possiblly be the problem.
Im a fit forty year old male who has lost a spleen punctured a lung and broke 8 ribs in a motorcycle accident over 10 years ago, since then have had a heart attack (2 years ago) which no one can explain why and also lens replacement in my left eye for reasons no one can tell me.I now too have the exact kalidoscope effect for the exact same durations sometimes with headache. Has not happend for a few Weeks until today. Have spoken to heart specialist and neurologist no one knows,What to do? Seems everything that happens to me is totally unknown by doctors so i get treated for the symtoms even though there are no hard facts as to why i should be on the medication given,..guess its just better for me to have been on them so docs have covered there bases if i keel over!! Im concerned many "doctors" know little about a lot still! But still charge you for not knowing?? Seems ridiculous. Guess we have to wait till it gets serious enough and to enough people....goodluck all!

Yours sounds like a classic aura to a migraine - I have had the same effect and if I have taken my migraine medication and found a dark cool place to lie and close my eyes during the kaleidescope effect before any pain hits, I can pre-emptively get rid of the migraine. You should start your medicine immediately when that effect begins so that you can avoid the headache and throwing up. It has greatly improved my migraine management, getting this aura ahead of time. Before, I didn't get any warning and then I had all the symptoms, throwing up, light sensitivity, unsteady on my feet, etc.
I'm glad I have found others that have had the same symptoms I just did for the first time.  I have a history of migraines which I control with Imitrex when I feel them coming on but I have never had a sudden vision of a light show in my right eye.  I understand now it is a visual kalidoscope. I had colorful rigged puzzle looking flashing half circled images appear with no warning blocking my vision.  When I closed my eyes I could still see & in both eyes but the image only appeared in the right.  Very unusual & disturbing! Finally after about 10 minutes it subsided & my eye was warm & blurry and I have a dull headache.  I has debating on going to the doctor but it went away like my husband said it would but I'm afraid of ignoring the fact that it happened. I'm 34 & never had this with my history of migraines.  I hope it is not neurolgical.
OMG, Morgar I feel as though I could have witten the (your) question.. I experience ALL your symtoms.. Im 59-yrs having these episodes off & on for so many yrs.. years apart until just latley.. had one just today, and 2-days ago thats rare for me.. I do have many auto-immune/  just Dx with Lupus.. the only pattern (maybe) is when i feel stressed ? I can see them with eyes open & better closed.. also I look at anything, and I can only see 1/2 of it.. other 1/2 is all triangles, squares, no colors, just outlines of bright lights...if i keep eyes closed i can see them move till they seem to move to back of head ?  I can't believe how many others have same. And you exactly .. wth is it ?
Hi Sunny today i had my !st one n it frightened the life out of my, I thought id looked at the sun then it just got bigger and bigger felt really disorientated. i laid down it eventually took an hour to go into the back of my head (thats wot it felt like) now have a fuzzy head feel bit sicky and feel like im echoing in my own head  i know its not nice but i glad i not the only one x
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. I am 55 yr old male and been having this happen for a couple of years. I have no pain or discomfort just frustrating until it goes away. I can see something like moving lights  all around my peripheral vision and seems to block out that vision but as I try to look directly at it it moves away. (not a very good description but it is hard to describe) At times it seems like the light will take over my sight completely but it never does. It has the sensation of constant movement and I can detect slight color as from a prism refracting light. Lasts about 15 minutes to a half hour, It happens sometimes when I am driving. I would like to know what is causing it but I am a little afraid  that it could be serious. It"s strange because when it is happening I feel completely at ease. no panic.
Wow! I finally found others that have the same problem.   I am 63 years old and I have had what I call the “Peripheral Kaleidoscope” effect around my vision for about 5 years.  It only occurs a few times a year with no pain associated with it but it is unnerving. I have spoke with a few physicians about it and it seems no one can tell me about it.  Now that I have found some scant information on this site, I will follow up on it. Thanks for everyone's imput on this site.
hey, your experience is exactly like mine.  What happened, did u find out anything?
This describes exactly what happened to me about a week ago!
I too would like to know if you find anything out about it. It was on the right side of my vision, but I could also 'see'  it with my left eye and even when my eyes were closed. It was like a 'v' on its side pointing outwards. It seemed to be revolving like a DNA spiral. The very tip of the 'v' seemed sky blue, almost like a rear vision mirror on a car.
Karen
i have been having the same symptoms as to everyones posts, i have it so bad at time while driving i have to pull over, no headaches but it is annoying as can be, i close my eyes and its still there, i close my eyes for about 10 to 20 minutes and it just goes away, it is happening more often to me tho getting a little worried that something is going on and it isn't my eyes i thinks its in my brain, i am going to seek my doctor advice tho, better to be safe than sorry, getting more than worried quite frankly getting scared to be honest. just had an episode a few moments ago, but im ok now to type. Hope we can find answers to this weird thing going on in our vision.
Go to http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm for a good overview of "ocular migraine."  I "suffer" from this and have nearly the same symptoms the posters here have described.  I say "suffer" in quotes because it's concerning, but once I read about it, I now know to just chill and wait.  I have tried to determine what triggers the episodes, but I've yet to find anything obvious.  "Stress" is probably the answer, but I've learned that I'm generally the WORST evaluator of my own stress :)
It is such a relief to find so many people with exactly the same symptoms! I have had this for a week ago, like someone described it above as a "revolving DNA spiral" on my right hand side, starting small and getting bigger, like a prism effect, sort of shards of glass reflecting in a long, snake type, revolving line in light blue, orange, black and white. It stays for about ten minutes and then goes.
The only thing I did notice is that it seems to be accompanied by tinnitus.
Weird.
I will take a look at the link posted above by Plugh, which will hopefully put my mind at ease :)
I am 55. I have been having these brilliant blazing geometric shapes taking over my vision for a number of years. When I have mine my ears scream with ringing, I feel weak and sick and the blood vein on the left temple bulges out. Usually lasts 10-15 minutes but has been 30 and counting. I am in the middle of an episode right now and I do not feel well. It has been 2 years since I experienced this. I guess I am making up for lost time.
Today I experienced the exact same thing. Thus is actually the forth time I can remember this happening to me. I work at a desk on a computer all day. While working my vision began to shift and change and it looked like there were breaks similar to broken glass in my vision. Then the colors and squiggly lines started happening. It is always in my left eye and it starts out small and then takes over my entire vision in that eye. I can close my eyes and our is still there. It usually goes away in about 15 to 20 minutes and then today after it stopped I had a headache and was extremely nauseous and it its over an hour later and I still  have the headache. The first time this happened I was rushed to the hospital and they could not determine what caused it and just said possibly be transient ischemic attack but they could not say for sure.  I too went and sat in a dark room and and drank water and prayed until it subsided and afterwards I felt really run down and had to come home from work. This has only happened four times since 08'....any suggestions for me
I feel so very much better now after reading all your posts. I've had 2 bouts of this today so finally plucked up courage to do a search on it. Thanks to all your posts I can stop worrying. I have experience this for years but never told a soul as I knew it would clear itself soon and also that it wasn't my eyes due to the patterns being there when my eyes were shut tight. I don't suffer migraines but do suffer ocular ones. Weird but happy thats been answered with so many of you experiencing the exact same thing :o)
I went to the ER 3 weeks ago after experiencing similar visual symptoms with  no history of migraines and after 2 MRIs and a biopsy have been diagnosed with a low grade brain tumor in my visual processing center. Dom't ignore your symptoms!!!
I'm 30 years old and have been having these same symptoms for a few years. Today happened to be the worst of all. It started out as a small prysim in the shape of a c in both eyes, it was really wavy and continued to grow bigger and bigger. It had me to the point of almost fainting. I had a slight headache with it. It lasted about 15 minutes.  Even when I closed my eyes it was still there. I went to my eye doctor about it and he said its just eye dryness and I'm too young to have any kind of the symptoms I am describing. I know what eye dryness is and I do not have it.
I have the same eye issue, exactly. what did your dr say?  thanks becky
4 days ago, I had a sharp pain above my left temple. It was not a headache or migraine. I had not felt anything like it. It dropped me to only being able to lay on my right side and be still. It started as a sharp deep pain and then dulled but hurt deeply... the skin around my temple became very sensitive to touch... It lasted for about 6 hours. I had taken Aleve and it did not help.. Aleve always helps any headache or start of a migraine for me. I have been diagnosed progressively with RA in 1994, Lupus in 2006, Sjogren's in 2010 and Vitiligo in 2011. Today, I felt something odd in my left eye... I can't describe what it felt like in words... Then, my vision in my left eye was like looking through a vertical v-shaped prism... it is making me feel off-balance and like things are totally distorted. Been going on for about 30 mins. now and feels like things are distortedly glowing :X Thinking of going to ER later, after my 13 year old son takes college exam at 2pm - but concerned with driving.
I have been told by my friend who is a nurse that the Kaleidoscope-eye effect as described above by many folks is caused in the intestines when some type of oil or a element to which we might be allergic to goes to a certain part in the intestines which has a spasm creating a blood vessel to raise its blood pressure to the optical apparatus causing this kaleidoscope in our eyes, in my case followed by a severe headache, stomach irritation which can take several days to cure, when I experience this situation I drink a lot of water and try to relieve myself doing a number 2, by trial en error it allways happens about a day or 2 after I ate a meal that may have ingretients that Im alergic to, I will further research this topic.
This is all very interesting. I've had migraines for years. Usually I have sudden onset type of migraine. I've had auras, too, when younger. I've had this before... but it's been awhile. Today, I was in front of my smaller laptop and could hear my heartbeat in my head... bp, I guess. I don't usually have high bp either. Almost as I was increasingly becoming aware of this 'beating sound' in my head, I thought I had something in my eye. Maybe a floater, is what I was thinking. Then my Left eye first started seeing a zig-zag, squiggly lines, that looked like prisms appear across my eye, then moved to the outter rim of my eye... then the same appeared in my right eye. I thought I needed a break.. washed my eyes... went outside for a few minutes... came back inside and the prisms were just 'twinkling and annoying as heck'. I couldn't rub them away or blink them away. I decided to Google 'squiggly prism vision' and found this page. Calming myself down after reading all of these responses, I took a 100mg imitrex and waited this thing out. It's take about 25 minutes... but it's ebbed away. I don't hear my bp, but I do feel pressure like I'm going to be sick. I ate part of a pork chop last night that I didn't really like and felt nauseous. Never got sick. I know the meat was good, it just didn't agree with me. It's been a long time since this has happened, yet it is disconcerting, to say the least. I'll bookmark this site if anyone has any insight. I see a neurologist regularly for occipital nerve blocks for migraines. I'll ask him about this the next time I go into the office. It'll be a few months unless something else happens. Thanks for posting. (I'm feeling very nauseous... but no real headache to speak of.)
Sunny169, have you had your optic nerves checked? I had got bumped in the eye with a tree branch while gardening. First symptoms were pain for days, edema in eye, iritis and then they said my optic nerve head was swollen and sent me for a brain scan to be sure a tumor wasn't pressing on it.   The test was okay, the doctor decided my optic nerve was damaged with a pale palor! Irreversible. I have a blind spot in the lower part of my right eye.  I too see these geometric patterns with black in between and orange background when I close my eyes at night laying in bed. I expect them now after over a month! They go away  in about 10 minutes. I have asked the specialist but not sure his reply as it is so hard to explain my right eye is like a kaleidoscope!!!
THAT'S IT!!!!   Thanks for the link!
Finally a (crude) animation of what this looks like!  Mine is in dazzling color as well and in both eyes at the same time, so it really isn't in the eye.
I am type 1 diabetic, quit smoking in 2010 (yeah!!!), unemployed (stress)... so these don't help with the triggers.
I do get a mild headache about 1 day later after this happens.
This is the only answer that makes sense so far to me. I've had this problem off and on. No pain, just the kaleidoscopic lights. No migraine. I'm in perfect health, no stress (retired), do spend some time on the computer every day, but that does not seem to be related.
I do make an interesting smoothie most every day, with all kinds of ingredients (at least 24, whatever I can get my hands on). The 'lights' happened in the last 2 days again, shortly after drinking the smoothie. An allergic reaction might be the problem. I'll have to replace and delete ingredients until I find out which one is bothering my system.
Yesterday it happened while playing competitive tennis. I played right through it. No weakness, no problems. Just a little harder tracking the ball. It took about 2 games (which I won). Focus is the thing to do, not feeling like a victim.
Bodily functions are all interrelated. Intestinal problems may trigger reactions anywhere in your system, look at acupuncture for example to see that interrelatedness. A lot goes on in your guts, they are the center of your immune system, and a whole lot more.

I am having withdraw headaches which my doctors are watching me but i had black and white snowflake patterns  when my eyes was closed no pain is it something to worry about
My eye doctor told me I was experiencing an optical migraine.. which is the same as a conventional migraine, but without the pain.  No pain, but vision issues and nausea..   He didn't suggest any treatment.. other than to avoid the triggers.  
Hi, same here,just went through this about an hour ago and that link (the one provided by plugh) took me to that animation.I am a 60 year old male,this began with my left (weak) eye and progressed to my right eye, mostly on my left eye on the upper left quadrant.It is gone now but it did scare me,no pain or migraine headache so far. Thanks!!! JJ
My husband gets this in both eyes off and on and he said that he forces himself to burb and he says the burbs are deep down and it makes it go away.
When he was a teenager he said that sometimes the bus would stop at Burger King and aftertaste he first experienced the kaleidoscope effect.  Indigestion seems to be his link!
I have had this going on for a few months now.  Today seems to be much worse.  So far I have had 3 episodes.  Like everyone else...no pain just annoying.  I wish I could figure out what to do about it.  
i have had this three times in my life today at age 60 but the other two when i was a teen ager then a twenty 8 yr. old they are always painless and interesting my old opthomologist said they were spiralling coen chyma or such to take some brandy and relax they were caused by high stress today i was ultimately majorly stressed alas i believe it is just an eye migraine and since no problems for all this time no physiological origin ....
I saw these circular prisims when I changed my blood pressure meds...I lowered my dose....pressure went up to 150 from 109 where is usually is...as soon as I took my old BP pill (Stronger)...it went away...   so that leads me to believe one of the reasons for this is high blood pressure
I am a 58 year old male. I have had kalidiscope effect in the left eye then in the right for almost 20 years ever since my vision started to go down hill. I was always told it was the cones and rods breaking down.
This is the best explanation that I have found.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma
I never knew cannabis oil was indeed wonderful and very effective in the treatment of cancer "if not by the government and so called rules to regulate cannabis dad would still have been alive. Thanks to the new policy of legalizing cannabis in my state and have even lost my wife's kidney cancer, and it was really shocked and surprised when I see a lot of documentary on how the cannabis oil had helped many people to whom His family thought they never could do next undergoing several "Chemo" from the department of my heart, and I have to say a word of appreciation to Dr. Brown Nelson for timely intervention in the lives of my wife suffering from kidney cancer. As I write this testimony in this blog my wife is so strong and healthy even though you have not completed the total dosage "for cannabis and medical consultation opportunity and get in touch with him if you are a cancer patient through their email: (***@****) so you can lit more details

Treatment Regine:
I have a pretty big tolerance for marijuana, so I started off with a full grain of rice sized amount of oil instead of a half grain. I gradually increased the dosage every night until I reached a full gram each night. The standard protocol for Rick Simpson Oil is ingesting a total of 60 grams over the course of 2-3 months, but I had 70 grams in total for safe measure. I used the excess as a topical skin care treatment, attacking the visible brown spots on my face and neck.

3 months later, my cancer was in full remission. Within 4 months, I am cancer-free and officially received a clean bill of health from my doctors. What they don’t know is that the majority of my treatment was using the Rick Simpson Oil. I did use some of the medication they prescribed, but it was in combination with the oil.

I am elated I want to continue sharing with people who are experiencing what I went through that there is absolutely hope and a cure out there. They just need to be proactive and aggressive with treatment, not wait until it is too late. Get your medication at Phoenix Tears via Email: (***@****)

In addition to being an effective cancer fighter, there are some nice side effects that come from using the Rick Simpson oil, for instance, I no longer need to take any pain killers. Just one or two drops of the oil will ease the pain and help you sleep like a baby. Best of all, its natural . . . Thanks to all the staff at Amsterdam’s Garden who guided me throughout this journey. You guys are awesome!
I've read through the posts and I come to believe that for the no pain people having kaleidoscope  optical aura issues - its stress induced - and stress induced sometimes from blood pressure  but definitely stomach/intestinal linked to some part of the brain that affects the optics. Its not normal but my intuition leads me to conclude that its viral - possibly likes worms that animals gets but hard to detect why - its been with me for over 30 years. I just rest to have it go away  but I can feel the pressure in my forehead and when I drink water it goes away faster with some rest.
I get the wavy kalidoscope vision . It is all different colors starts in center constantly moving around and then it moves and then it works its way up and disappears and in both eyes at the same time..  I have gone to the eye doctor rulled out eye desease..He said migrane and my brother gets the same thing . He has had all the test and nothing found. The doctor says stress.
This recently happened to me for the first time.  I have a history of migraines, but nothing like this.  I am at a stressful point in life and also 24wks pregnant.  I was relaxing having some late night computer time when this visual disturbance began.  It was slower and much like a crystal drill bit or helix in shape but very prismic and it began to be more intense, growing and gaining in kaleidoscopic nature.  I couldn't focus on anything in the room or the screen.  To read I had to cheat back and forth from a focal point to peripheral vision, trying to catch what I could in between.  In further intensity, it began to include flashing light, almost like you see when a ceiling fan passes round and round in front of a light.  I found the top comments here and a few other things, but couldn't focus enough to read them all.  It lasted 1 hr,  followed by ears ringing, and a weakness of extremities.  I got up to go to the restroom and my legs felt "new" beneath me.  I had to think harder to make them work.  I then went to bed, but when I awoke, I still had off and on blurry vision, dizziness, extreme pressure in my temples (no pain though, not a typical migraine effect, also no light sensitivity) and slight ringing in my ears.  After 9hrs in the ER, they transferred me to a different hospital where under the care of a neurologist I had blood drawn, fluids, and completed an MRI.  The overall prognosis was that I had experienced an ocular migraine and that I needed to follow up with my eye dr for full exam and glaucoma check.  Also, that my B12 was low and I was anemic.  When I looked up B12 deficiency, many of these symptoms came up, so I'm wondering if that was the trigger.  Anyway, per dr orders, in addition to my prenatal, I have added 2,000mcg or 2mg of B12 daily.  The incident happened late friday night, with lasting symptoms all the way until now on Tues.  I spent Sat, Sun, and Mon in the hospital.  The ride home made me nauseous and dizzy, and fifteen minutes after arriving home on Monday, a classic migraine began and lasted all night (pain, light/sound sensitivity and pain, pressure) Anyway, I started the B12 today and hope that helps.  I see my eye Dr. tomorrow as well.  The visuals were scary in that if I had been doing something like driving in heavy traffic I wouldn't have been able to function.  I hope to remedy them completely.
do things seem brighter?  A little surreal?  I experienced this the first time today, it only lasted for under 5 minutes.  It seem to sphere around my peripheral vision and the squiggly lines seemed to be moving, like rays, but no color, just brighter.
I am 52 yr old female and had this happen for the first time today.  It scared me b/c I know it wasn't my eyes.  It was in both eyes in the periphery to my left (meaning the outside of my left eye and inside of my right eye).  It was a semi-circle of prismatic distortion and was still there when one or both eyes were closed.  It didn't affect my ability to function but made me think I was having a brain aneurysm or something.  I was in a bad car accident several months ago and have some pretty bad whiplash giving me more frequent and severe headaches.  It definitely helps to think that others are having the same effects and have had it for years with no major ill-effects.  Thank you for the reassurance and I plan on going to my pain-management doctor to see if I need to do anything further.  BTW, while typing this, the effects have gone away.  Weird!!
Hi, Very interesting that you mentioned intestines.  I'm almost positive that the kaleidoscope vision followed by a killer migraine yesterday (Sat) evening was caused by something involved with my (first) colonoscopy I had on Friday morning.
  I am truly healthy 53 year old woman.  Felt great right after colon procedure as well as most of the day Saturday.  Approx an hour after prisms appeared in the left side vision of both of my eyes, my head started aching then it travelled to the back of my neck.  Definite feelings of nausea.  I just took acetaminophen and went to bed.  Feel ok today, but a little tentative this morning -kind  of waiting to see if it might come back.
The only other time I had a migraine (mostly in my left eye and forehead area) was several years ago.  I had eaten only shelled sunflower seeds for breakfast (not exactly healthy) and headache started 30 minutes later.  Totally debilitating.  Husband took me to urgent care where -after waiting an hour for dr- I vomited (sorry, yuck) but immediately felt better.  Felt fine, really.  Left urgent care, took a nap, have avoided sunflower seeds and have had no other migraines other than yesterday's.  Attributed the previous migraine to an allergy to the seeds.
I definitely feel this latest migraine is connected to the colonoscopy and I plan to tell my Dr. when I follow up this week.  
Wow I'm so glad to have found this sight, this pattern with a prism that moved outward over 15-20 minutes happened to me yesterday for the first time and if I hadn't found this I would have been much more stressed.  The intestine idea is very interesting to me.  I had just eaten some herb popcorn before it happened and then I got on the computer.  I know I suffer problems with overall joint and muscle inflammation, everything muscular has a dull ache.  This indicates leaky gut and food allergies which I am addressing. I have no history of migraines.  I'm curious with other readers,  are any of you on Wellbutrin by chance which I also just restarted, it was not a problem before or can you see a link with intestinal issues, chronic fatigue, fibromialga, food allergies?  Thanks for sharing.
It never fails with me SheriC59, right after a experience the kaleidoscope effect comes the worse part, always related to my digestive system, I get severe headaches, stomach pains, severe intestine discomfort and it all relates to something I ate 3 days ago like clockwork since 1988 but I can't figure out what element causes this situation.
With me it's a digestive system disorder that I've had since a child.
I just had this happen today for the first time and it sounds exactly like your description.  It was on the way home from a wine tasting so I wondered if it was from the wine (sulfites?).  It went away in about ten minutes and I had no headache or any other symptoms.  
I had ocular migraines years ago and saw a Neurologist, in Atlanta, who told me what it was that I was experiencing. I didn't get the headache but felt somewhat drained at the end of each episode. At the time I was seeing a dot which got larger as is came toward me. Usually it was in the shape of the letter C. The edge of this C was shimmering and made up of a series of triangles. The center was usually black and as it got closer the vision was blocked out in that area. If I was driving I had to pull off the road until it was over. The episodes ended when the figure came to my eyes, blocking my vision. Then Poof, just like that, it would be gone.
My neurologist told me to try taking a baby aspirin daily. I did and the ocular migraines stopped. I took the baby aspirins for several years then stopped and the ocular migraines returned. I am back on the baby aspirin once a day and no more ocular migraines. I hope it works for you.
Aspirin at first onset works for many migrainers.  Migraines generally get better with time and most people eventually outgrown them.

I am actively involved in acute migraine research and this article may be of interest to those that have migraine or physicians that treat migraines:

http://www.medhelp.org/neurology/articles/Acute-Migraines-Relieved-By-Beta-Blocker-Eye-Drops/1574

JCH MD
I'm a 28 year old average height, average weight, healthy female. I am a non smoker, and haven't touched marajuanna in 8 years. I have never used a recreational drug.  I have a desk job where I work at a computer for 8+ hrs a day. Low stress.
I had my first episode of "kaleidoscope vision" this evening and panicked until I read through this thread.  I had played a high intensity game of volleyball this evening in a very hot, humid and very bright gymnasium.  I'll be honest this is the hardest I've played in a long time and the most I've sweat in a long time.  After the game we went to the bar, had a pitcher of water and a drink.  I enjoy a one shot beverage or a glass of wine 2-3 times a week.
I was fine during the game and at the bar after. It wasn't until I got in my car to go home that I noticed my vision was a little blurry in my right eye.  I had LASIK vision correction 2 years ago and do see occasional floaters, blurs and flashes so I brushed it off. Gone home just fine. Got ready for bed and noticed a kaleidoscope effect on my right periferal side - I panicked and watched it get bigger as I looked around, rubbed my eye, checked a mirror.   I started googling and read about the migraines and found this thread. I laid down and kept reading and became a little calmer to know I wasn't alone. After about 15 minutes it went away.  Whew!!!! I'm betting it's stress induced, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and lack of sleep.  Stay healthy friends.
You need to monitor this situation. This is especially true I you take birth control pills or hormones. If you have another one of these then an exam by an ophthalmologist and an exam by your personal physician are mandatory.  Many people have one of these and then not another or not have next one for many years.  However where they are coming on frequently other causes need to be exclude.

JCH MD
Just experienced this "kaleidoscope vision".  I'm 61 year female in good health.  I take no medicine.  I do wear bifocals.  However very stress today as my mom just died.  It went on for about 10 minutes.   Really unnerve me.   Took my glasses off to see if it would stop and still continued.  The prism was on the peripheral of the both eyes.  They started small and then got larger before they disappeared.  I don't get migraines though do get headaches sometimes.  I did take some medicine just in case.  Feeling very tired, drain now.    Went on line and found this discussion thread.  Glad I found it as it made me feel that I wasn't going crazy.  I also am hoping it just stress related.  Going to get some rest.
Caleasha: Sorry to hear about your mom. If you have had these in the past or been diagnosed with migraines in the past the chances are this was an episode of eye migraine. However if you have not had these diagnoses and the problem re-occurs you will need to see your personal physician and an Eye MD ophthalmologist to rule out disease of the eyes, brain, heart and blood vessels before a DX of eye migraine can be made. In new onset of these symptoms without previous migraine hx transient ischemic attack (TIAs) and other problems need to be excluded. If you are otherwise healthy your personal MD may want to see if you experience another episode under less stressful circumstances.  JCH MD
Mine starts as a little dot then grows into a C shape then disappears. When it gets the peripheral part is when I get sick to my stomach. I have had them happen infrequently over the last 20 years with no known trigger. I will have to watch my water and get my BP lower and see how that works.  
bobn323:  You may want to print the article linked below out and take it to your physician that manages your migraines.

JCH MD
I have the same prisms in my right eye. I am blind in my left eye. I have been to many Drs who say nothing. Tonight I also had what I thought was a gnat flying around the outer portion of my eye, which I could see when I closed my eye... that and the prism  at the same time. It made it almost impossible to see. I sat down and closed my eyes for about 1/2 hour before they let up.
The "gnat" was not part of an ophthalmic migraine but likely a floater. Since you only have one eye with vision I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist to examine your retina. this is especially important if you have any momentary, bright flashes of light or any loss of peripheral vision that does not clear.  
JCH MD
Thank you for this page. This year I was given a diangosis of lung cancer and wondered if it is related as I have also experienced this "C" prism effect in both eyes this year. CT scans show no new growths apart from the two that we know about.
Glad it was helpful. Discuss with your ophthalmologist. good luck in your treatment. JCH MD
Wow this is amazing to see so many people with a similar experience, looks like there is few common denominators here, Computers, stress, 50+. Second time it happens for me, first time was very scary as I was on my lunch break and had to return to work but had no idea if I would pass out as a result. It did go way eventually with a head ache at the end but had no idea of going online at the time or getting it checked by my GP. A year on and this is the second time I'm having it and decided to go online and do some digging and came across that page. Thanks for the share and the help
Sure happy to be helpful. I have family members with onset of eye migraines early 40's  Just remember to have family MD and ophthalmologist do an evaluation

JCHMD
I see a lot of people with the exact same problem BUT there's no answers to the problem. Does anyone know what causes these? Because I've had them in the past and am having one now but I don't have a headache.

Answers.

I find that my cause is from being in front of a computer screen too long.

Migraines tend to get better as a person gets older and around 40 the nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound get better and the migraine becomes mostly seeing visual phenomena especially dark spots and shimmering "rick-rack".

JCH III MD
hi i was reading storeys at a UFO web site one night in the dark and the letters were in red after trying too read the red words i said holy cow the red words from the site is bothering my eyes! so i turned the computer off and then the ziggy kaleidoscope thing was in my right eye  best i can describe its like if you look at the sun an then close your eyes an still see  it?  it lasted for half hour i was scared it wouldn't go away it did but now i get it evy now and then one time 3 months later sometimes twice in one day?   i keep getting repeats of the ziggy triangle coloured kaleidoscope  it its been 7 years now no change or headaches i think its permanent i really believe its from the red words form computers if its in red dont read it!! its the source i think
hi i was reading storeys at a UFO web site one night in the dark and the letters were in red after trying too read the red words i said holy cow the red words from the site is bothering my eyes! so i turned the computer off and then the ziggy kaleidoscope thing was in my right eye  best i can describe its like if you look at the sun an then close your eyes an still see  it?  it lasted for half hour i was scared it wouldn't go away it did but now i get it evy now and then one time 3 months later sometimes twice in one day?   i keep getting repeats of the ziggy triangle coloured kaleidoscope  it its been 7 years now no change or headaches i think its permanent i really believe its from the red words form computers if its in red dont read it!! its the source i think.

Really a strange theory. Sounds like something you read at a UFO web site.
hello all, i came here after googling. i'm experiencing the same symptoms as many above. squiggly kaleidoscope lines that distort my vision. i experience it after an extremely intense session at the gym sometimes. i'm already being treated for high blood pressure and i'm almost sure mine comes on after exerting myself. my blood pressuer likely sky rockets during an intense set, and then the "effects' come on after i leave the gym when i'm presuming my blood pressure drops back down. just posting because i found it somewhat comforting to hear others experiencing the same problem. and just to throw up the possibility that it could be a rapid change in blood pressure that's causing it for some people. for example after sitting at a computer for a long time, and then rising rather quickly. thanks to all for posting. i clearly need to pay more attention to my blood pressure issue. btw i am 45 yo
=
i've been experiencing this since an auto accident in 2007, i have no idea what brings it on, but it's impossible to say which eye, because both are affected. open or closed it's there. it's starts out as a little multi colored spot in a random area of my vision that looks like a mosaic window of bright kaleidoscope colors then it opens up slowly and eventually opens all the way up and is gone. while it's happening i have no vision in the area of the colors, and none if it's a complete circle until it opens up enough to get a small window of vision in the center.  I get a dull, thick feeling in my head afterwards. the eye doctor told me in 2007 that it was cramping in the optic nerve due to the concussion that i sustained. I can go weeks with nothing and then it will happen 2 or 3 times in a week.
I've been having something like kaleidoscope images for a couple of months now. Mine are a partial "wheel of fortune" but in black and white, lasting 10-20 minutes. Always on the left peripheral side of both eyes. No headache after.  I'm 65 and female. I recently had a thorough eye exam and the Dr referred me for a carotid doppler thinking I might be having TIA's. It is scheduled for June 7.
Also, I don't notice them or haven't had them except while watching TV - a flat screen led.
=
WTF is the point of your = comments?
I just started experiencing it for the first time....I'm 33 female....no real health problems other than iron deficiency. It was a triangular mess inside of a line??? Kinda like a kaleidoscope....never had it before? What the hell is this? =/
=
I have something in my eyesight too, I'm 13 and for as many years as I can remember I get orange and blue vertical stripes through my vision if I focus on something, I don't know what it is and the doctors can't say what it is either, I feel like our two eye problems are connected
=
Wow. So glad I found this thread. Same here. Shimmering "c" pattern, prismatic in color. Both eyes.  It expanded until covered 1/4 vision, then dissipated. No pain, no headache.
Off the chart stress 2 years straight. Not relating any sob stories here - everyone has stress.
53, male, work with computers all day for 20+ years.
Stomach pain center of chest for 10 months. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, cardio CT, abdominal CT, and just about every other test you can do - all normal or insignificant findings (lucky!). Tried no gluten, no sugar, no carb, etc. (hey, been at this for 10 months - tried everything for 6+ weeks each. No change.
Only posting here to add to the data.  Pfizer, you listening? One $80 dollar pill a day that changes intestinal flora thereby curing migraines. What do you think?  Better yet, what do your researchers think?
You're welcome.
=