Eye Care Community
Kel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Kel

I have had 7 retina procedures which started with a detached retina repaired with a scleral buckle, then 2 gas bubble, then silicone oil.  After the oil was removed, the retina detached again, repaired and suffered another tear due to traction and scar tissue.  Finally the retina is "attached", however, my pressure is so low, I have almost no vision and have pain constantly.  I use pred forte eyes prn and have had 2 intravitral injections which give temporary relief.  Two physicians have suggested eye removal.  Another physician suggests in my lifetime (I am an otherwise healthy 53 year old female),  there will be technology to restore much of my vision.  With that in mind, I just cannot agree for the eye removal.  Any suggestions for meca retina care centers. I will travel anywhere. Thanks so much.
I think it highly unlikely that a trek anywhere on earth would restore any useful vision. Sorry, just being realistic.

The ability to help you will require a quantum leap in our ability to grow new visual tissue. You could live for another 47 years. It might happen. No telling where the breakthrough will occur. Possiblities include stem cell transplant perhaps with the Zebra fish cells, electronic retinas, nanotechnology or who knows what.

It is possible that at some point the pain will be too much for you and the eye (or what's left of it) will need to be removed. You might talk to your retina doctors about an absolute alcohol injection behind the eye. It often gives complete pain relief for 3-6 months. Sometimes cause paralysis of the eyelids.

Take good care of your remaining eye. That is far and away the most important part of your eye care.

JCH III MD