Keratecomy after Lasik surgery for Salzmann Nodular Degeneration
I am a 48 year old female and was recently diagonosed with Salzmann's Nodular Degeneration.  The eye surgeon who did my Lasik surgery in 2000, is planning to perform Superficial Keratecomy in a few weeks.

Is it safe to have the procedure since having Lasik surgery?  Are there usually any complications?  

What do you know about Salzmann's and what could have caused it?  I wore soft contacts for approx. 20 years prior to Lasik surgery.  Could it be from Lasik surgery?  I find information contradicting on the web.

Thanks,
S. Hall
The superficial keratectomy for Salzman's nodular degeneration is generally a very quick and painless, and rather safe procedure but extreme caution will be needed due to the history of Lasik. Hopefully the nodules are outside the original flap zone - that would be great.  Please discuss all this with your surgeon - and I hope he has good success with doing this in many other patients, especially with prior Lasik.  I'm not the expert on this particular procedure - so please make sure you have a board-certified ophthalmologist that is a very experience LASIK surgeon and corneal specialist.

MJK MD