Eye Care Expert Forum
Large Optic Nerves

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Large Optic Nerves
I have suffered from headaches for literaly as long as I can remember.  I have been on miagraine medications and tried everything over the counter and nothing seems to help.  I have also tried natural hormones.  My headaches dont really fit a category that i have found.  The pain is behind both eyes, they occur everyday.  They are usually mild in the mornings and worsen through the day.  Today I was told during my eye exam that I have very large optic nerves, but my pressure was OK.  Could this be causing my headaches?  If so is there any treatment?
I think you may have been told that you have large optic cups. The cup is part of the optic disc, which is the front surface of the optic nerve.  This can be seen in glaucoma, but many people have large cups and don't have glaucoma.  Your eye pressure was checked and was OK, which makes glaucoma very unlikely.

In any event, high eye pressure and large optic cups are NOT related to headache, especially not chronic daily headache, even if the headache feels like it is behind the eyes.