Eye Care Expert Forum
Large Optic Nerves
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Large Optic Nerves

I have suffered from headaches for literaly as long as I can remember.  I have been on miagraine medications and tried everything over the counter and nothing seems to help.  I have also tried natural hormones.  My headaches dont really fit a category that i have found.  The pain is behind both eyes, they occur everyday.  They are usually mild in the mornings and worsen through the day.  Today I was told during my eye exam that I have very large optic nerves, but my pressure was OK.  Could this be causing my headaches?  If so is there any treatment?
Related Discussions
1083894_tn?1256328224
I think you may have been told that you have large optic cups. The cup is part of the optic disc, which is the front surface of the optic nerve.  This can be seen in glaucoma, but many people have large cups and don't have glaucoma.  Your eye pressure was checked and was OK, which makes glaucoma very unlikely.

In any event, high eye pressure and large optic cups are NOT related to headache, especially not chronic daily headache, even if the headache feels like it is behind the eyes.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now