Eye Care Community
Laser Retinopexy Procedure Aftereffects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Laser Retinopexy Procedure Aftereffects

What are the normal after-effects of the Laser Retinopexy Procedure and how longer should they last? I had laser retinopexy procedure performed on one eye four weeks ago to correct a "horse-shoe tear" in the retina.  I wasn't experienceing any vision problems in this eye prior to the laser retinopexy procedure, as the tear was detected during my annual eye exam by an eye physician.  It should be noted that this was my "good eye" prior to the procedure, as it was rated better in the vision test over the other eye.  After the laser retinopexy procedure, I have experienced wavy lines at the center of my vision of the repaired eye that won't go away.  Also, this eye is extremely sensitive to sunlight now, so much that I end up getting headaches in the vicinity of the temple adjacent to the laser repaired eye.  Furthermore, there continues to be a nagging soreness in the laser-repaired eye.  Since these symtoms (symptoms) have lasted so long (four weeks), I have become concerned.  Are these normal laser retinopexy post-procedure after-effects?  If so, how much longer will they last?  If not, what should I do and how soon?

By the way, my retinal tear was on the edge of the eye.  I have often wondered if I might have accidentally moved ever so slightly during the laser retinopexy procedure, and that caused the eye physician to accidentally zap the center of my eye with the laser during the procedure.  Could this have happened and caused the current problem with my vision?  If so, can my current vision problem be remedied if it was caused by the laser, or would such eye damage be something that I will have to deal with the rest of my life?  These are not "floaters", which I also have, but these are a series of small adjacent curved lines (almost like a small fingerprint) at the center of my vision of the repaired eye.

Thank you very much for you help.  As you can read, I am very anxious about this and greatly value any feedback.

This discussion is related to RETINAL DETACHMENT POST-SURGERY AFTER-EFFECTS.
We do not give detailed advise on "normal" post operative behavior expecially in such a procedure as you had as each case and each individual is different. You ask good questions but only your surgeon can give your specific answers.

JCH III MD
I just read your situation and have had the same results.  I have had to have 3 laser surgeries to repair an acute retinal tear.  I go back in 12 days and hope they won't have to perform anymore. After the 3rd one not only did I experience severe throbbing of my head around the eye that was lasered, but also have had an increase in sensitivity to light and that area of the eye not only aches a lot but I get headaches.  

Two questions:  did you experience pain with the laser surgery?  (I did)
                        did your headaches eventually go away?
-
May 10, 2012 I had retinal detachment, they did pneumatic retinopexy,after three weeks bubbles was  still there but it's a little tiny dot.Still has  fluid beneath my retina so the Dr. Inject anoter big gas bubble to attached the tear.After two weeks came back to the dr. And it works but still has fluids gettin less.  But after goin back and forth and stop my eye drops, that is we're gettin a lot headaches,dizziness,dry eye,sensitivity to light,still has flashing light when I looked down on my eye.i have migraine headache so I don't if that is normal. So hopefully everything will go away  it has been two months now that I'm off work. Praying that before my 3 months things will get better.
=
I had surgery yesterday and I feel pretty good.   I'm so grateful that it was caught and done on the spot.  I'm still seeing the grey film along with the big black blob floater, but hoping this will diminish with time.  I had no idea that I was at risk for total blindness in my right eye!  I'm grateful for Aloha Eye Care and Dr. Carp!