Laser treatment for lattice degeneration - black shadow at bottom of eye
My husband had been told he has lattice degeneration and had laser treatment for it 35 years ago (not sure if that was the right thing - no symptoms - just on check up).  Recently he had major flashes and went to a retinal specialist and was told he had a tear and was give laser treatment two weeks ago. Ever since he sees a black shadow at the bottom of his eye when he goes from light to dark. This shadows does fade away after a while. The retinal specialist didn't seem to react when my husband told him of this issue. It is very bothersome to him. What should his course of action be?
The most important thing is that the retina surgeon determine he does not have a retinal detachment. If no RD then many people posting here have reported both dark black spots as well as light spots projected by the area of the retina treated with laser or freezing (cryotherapy). These usually diminish over time but some have persisted for many months.
Thanks so much Dr Hagan!! From your previous reply to a post it appears that laser is not necessarily the treatment to opt for right away.

My husband was seeing bright flashes and wanted to see his regular retinal specialist - however he could not accommodate him right away so he saw an ophthalmologist who works in the same practice. This ophthalmologist did a thorough eye exam and said he had no issues and to see the retinal specialist in January.

However the flashes persisted and so he went to another recommended retinal specialist. This retinal doctor examined his eyes and immediately said he had a tear and gave him intense laser treatment.

I am confused why just one week earlier one doctor would say everything is fine and another say he had a tear.  Is there a retinal specialist that is really well regarded that you might know that we could see to get a second opinion or even point where we could get ideas to find a specialist.

Once again - thanks so much Dr Hagan! for all your valuable replies and taking the time to answer questions.

retina tears usually occur suddenly and in a very short period of time. I have seen patients with no tears and told them to come back if something changes and have them return the next day to find a retinal tear or/and detachment. So likely the tear developed in that one week interval.