Eye Care Expert Forum
Lasik and lazy eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Lasik and lazy eyes

I recently had a consultation with one of the doctors in my area that performs LASIK. While I was there he mentioned to me that my left eye was a lazy eye and that I am not a good candidate for LASIK because of that. My question is, is there anything you recommend to help me treat the lazy eye so I can try to get my vision back in my left eye? The vision in my right eye is decreasing because of the straining it is forced to do since my vision in my left eye and very bad. I would like to be able to make sure that my right eye does not turn out to be as bad as the left eye.
Dear clrichardet1s,

LASIK is usually not indicated if one does not have vision in each eye.  The poor vision in one eye, known as a lazy eye, makes LASIK a little more complicated for you.  The question is the vision in your other eye with glasses good and is it changing? It is important for you to understand and become educated on the status of your eye condition.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California