Eye Care Community
Lasik induced Optic Neuritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Lasik induced Optic Neuritis

Hello everyone. Glad to have found these forums.

Can Lasik procedures cause optic neuritis?
I went blind in my right eye after two Lasik treatments (the first procedure did not work, thus returned for a second) and now I am blind in that eye.

The specialists diagnosed me with optic neuritis, and through personal research, I have found articles that state optic nerve damage may be caused via barotrauma/IOP instability, (from suction ring and/or topical steroids) from Lasik.

As well, many articles I've read mention Lasik-induced glaucoma which may irrepairably damage the optic nerve.

At this point, my vision is not likely to return as I am 18 months post op from the second procedure and is very distressing.

Thank you

Optic neuritis and glaucoma from lasik it not a recognized risk and any association of the two would be considered co-incidental.  It is true that there is some controversy over doing lasik inpatients with severe glaucoma but for patients with mild/moderate glaucoma the very very brief interuption of blood flow is considered no more of a problem than the interuption of blood flow in the arm when the blood pressure it taken.

JCH III MD
Thank you for the reply JCH. Much appreciated.

What are these numerous articles I found in various medical journals stating that optic nerve damage may be caused via barotrauma and IOP instability of Lasik?

I find it odd that I went blind in the eye shortly after my second Lasik procedure.

-----------------------------

i read your previous post going through your journey with Retrobulbar Neuritis. My journey mimicks yours very well (though I've not had Lasik). In May of 2007 I woke up with a blurry/blind spot in my right eye, which progressively got worse over a couple of days. Saw Opthamologist and went for tests at the hospital. There were two potential causes, my histo spots were acting up or an inflamed optic nerve. The tests didn't show the histo spots acting up so it was the optic nerve. It was diagnosed as Retrobulbar Neuritis not ON (not sure what the difference is....). I had no pain and my vision went from 20/20 to 20/400 over the course of a few days. About a month or so later my vision was back to 20/30 but still a grey spot that started clearning slowly. In October I had a couple of episodes of headaches, but they went away and I though my vision was getting worse but didn't see the Opthamologist. Had two MRI's done and they came back fine, maybe 1 lesion (it's reading Greek). Then about 2 days ago Feb 26, 2008 I noticed my vision going again, my blind spots were now going darker and my eye seem blurry, again no pain. I'm having a VEP done (not sure what that does), seeing a neuroligist and a neuro-opthamologist, long wait lists. So I'm confused as you are, how are you doing now? Did you go totally blind? Do you have any pain?
--------------