Eye Care Expert Forum
Lasik
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lasik

I was thinking about getting my eye's redone with lasik. I had it done about 12 + years ago. I am now 55 and they told me my close up reading would naturally get worse with age. I now use +2.5 glasses for reading. I am far sighted and had my dominate eye done for long distance and my other eye for close up. Over the years my dominate eye has weakened for distance and my other eye compensates for mid range and out. So I still see fine except close up. My eye doctor mentioned that checking for glaucoma becomes more difficult with this procedure. I was hoping to get a little more insight on this.
1 Comment
Blank
1735584_tn?1311113373
Lasik involves creating a flap on your cornea and thinning the tissue underneath the flap, thereby decreasing the overall thickness of your cornea.  The reason this is significant is that in the context of a thinner cornea, there is a tendency to underestimate the true pressure inside the eye.  For instances, if the pressure is recorded as 15 in an eye before lasik, following the procedure a similar pressure reading of 15 actually translates to a pressure higher than 15, although there is no accurate formula to accurately determine exactly how much higher the the true pressure is.  Therefore, if you have glaucoma or appear to be at risk for glaucoma, this is something to take into consideration.  One other factor that needs to be determined is the status of your lens, since having the beginnings of a developing cataract can override any benefits from additional Lasik.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now