Eye Care Community
Latent hyperopia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Latent hyperopia?

Background: I've been having major reading trouble for a year and a half now.  The first opthamologist thought I had CIS and had me do pencil pushups for about 5 months. This didn't really help so he referred me to another opthamologist who told me I had latent hyperopia not CIS. She gave me Rx for +0.75 and this helped a little so I went back and she increased my Rx to +1.00.  Problem is she assumed she fixed me and since it's been a couple of weeks (to let my eyes adjust) it's no different really from the +0.75.   I think I may be on the right track because I have found ways to relieve my symptoms, but I want to know what your opinion is.  

Alleviating Factors:  So I've found that putting a light source behind me so that it glares of the computer screen when I study (I'm in grad school) really helps me study better.  Also, at school there's a very bright projector and tv that's a lot brighter than the other projectors, and if I read of the brighter projector or the tv my vision just about returns to normal. I have +0.75 glasses and if I hold the glasses about an inch above the page/computer screen and read through one of the lenses (since I can't obviously read through both when I'm a foot or two away) it makes my vision a lot better as well.  

Summary: So the opthamologist was testing my vision when she changed my Rx to +1.00 and put +1.25 on and it got blurrier and harder to read. So in my opinion, I may have latent hyperopia based on alleviating factors (what do you think?).  If +1.25 makes vision blurry and +1.00 doesn't really help a ton (it helps a small amount I guess) then what can I do? Will any Rx over +1.25 not make my vision blurry or will I adjust to the blurriness? Anyways I am going to call my opthamologist, I just want to know what you think I have and anyways to help before I call her so that way I have an idea of what to tell her maybe.
It is impossible to comment without knowing you age and the cycloplegic refraction numbers.

Dr. O.
I'm 23 years old. And what do you mean by cycloplegic refraction numbers? I know that my new Rx is +1.00 after she adjusted it from +0.75.  Give me an example of cycloplegic refraction numbers and I'll see if she gave them to me.
Also, I'm not asking for a definitive diagnosis as I am planning on calling my opthamologist back. I'm just asking what this would sound like to you.  I tried telling my opthamologist about my symptoms and she disregarded them and told me I would have to be the "super sleuth" on that one.  So I'm trying to figure out what I could have before I call her back since I'm not sure how much help she would be. I'm sure she knows what she's talking about but if I'm sitting in class and can read perfectly normal of a bright tv screen I figure my vision problem (hopefully) can't be that complicated.

Thanks in advance!