Eye Care Community
Lattice Degeneration Surgery (Possible complication)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I had preventative lattice degeneration surgery with an argon laser about one and a half months ago.  My biggest concern is that my pupil is still dilated more than my other eye and it is causing my vision to be slightly blurred (especially up close).  The doctor insists that it will get better and that the nerves in my eye are still in shock from the treatment.  The post-laser pictures of my retina show no damage but I am still concerned.  Does this sound normal and if so, how long should I wait before there is real concern?  (Also, I have told the doctor that there is no way that I will get the other eye done until this one is 100%.)  Thanks in advance for your time.  
Please use the search function for lattice degeneration.  It occurs in 8 to 10% of the population and rarely is treatment needed.  Complications of treatment is about 5% and the chance of a problem of lattice with round holes is less than 0.5 %.

Dr. O.
Thanks for the quick response Dr. O.  I did search for "lattice degeneration" and found a lot of good information, but did not see anything on the pupil still being dilated.  Have you seen this before and should I be concerned?  Can I expect it to return back to normal or should I see my opthamologist for a new prescription?
I had treatment  with the laser on my good eye, I had a severe RD in the bad eye...  I never had a dialated pupil afterwards.  I'd go get checked by another M.D. if it were me.
Avatar n tn
I had laser surgery for my left eye to stop retinal detachment later in life and i have retinal holes in both my eyes... basically my question is; i had a local anesthetic needle below my eye and 1 week later my pupil is far more dilated then my right pupil and i can no longer see up close as my eye does not dilate... surgeon/operator doing the laser eye surgery prescribed me pilocarpine to assist; now he gave me a prescription indefintely for these drops... he seemed very edgy concerned, and even offered giving me a greater percentage of pilocarbine... seems maybe he damaged the nerve which controls my pupil dilating after researching online... now im worried my vision is going to be effected for the rest of my life... and im only 24 years old... 3wks later, still dilating and blurred vision?