Eye Care Community
Left Upper Eyelid Swell, allergy or not?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Left Upper Eyelid Swell, allergy or not?

3692959?1227449150
Let me explain my history before I pose my question.  I have an allergic reaction to aspirin and ibruprophren where my eyes (eyelids specifically) swell.  I have to take two benadryl to make it go down and if I don't take enough the swelling spreads along the nerves in my face like my cheeks and lips.  I haven't taken aspirin or Ibruprophren for about 10 years so I've avoided this allergic reaction.  However, In the last few months, I've had 4 or 5 instances where swelling occured in my eyelid just like my reaction to aspirin. All but one time, it occured while I was laying down in bed or on the couch.  I've discussed it with my allergist and we can't figure it out.  I have seasonal allergies to grass and trees. The one time I had a reaction where I wasn't laying down, my husband just came in from mowing the lawn after I thought pollen season had ended so I wasn't on any meds.  So I think that one was explained.  However, the other times when it occured,  I have no explanation, but only know they each happened after I was laying down.  

Last night, it happened again.  It was hugely swollen this time.  Since I'm 9 weeks pregnant, I was hesitant to take benadryl.  I prayed about it and decided to sit up in bed.  I propped myself up so my head was elevated.  The swelling decreased dramatically with time.  So now I wonder if it's not an allergy but some other cause for the swollen eyelid.

When the swelling happens I do not have any redness in the eye nor does it hurt (though it feels pretty strange).  Could there be other causes of swollen eyes other than allergies?