Eye Care Expert Forum
Left eye got bigger after fever

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Left eye got bigger after fever
My wife get fever last week, it lasted 5 days. Yesterday I found that her left eye got bigger than the right one. Or, it could be the right eye got smaller. I'm not quite sure now.
My question are: is it caused by fever? Will it go away by itself? Or do we need to see the doctor immediately?
Thanks a lot!
The eye size probably did not change; the difference may be that there is lid retraction, making the left eye look larger, or the other lid is droopy, making the right eye look smaller.  Also, one eye could be more prominent, due to something behind the eye pushing it forward (as is the case with enlarged eye muscles in thyroid disease).  If the situation persists, see an ophthalmologist for an evaluation.