Eye Care Community
Lens solution allergic reactions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Lens solution allergic reactions

I just read a discussion on "red and irratated eyes" started by shasta15 , on Jun 20, 2006 12:00AM.  The discussion was closed, so I am posting my own issue here involving  CibaVision O2 Optix contact lens and Alcon Opti-free Replenish.

I wear CibaVision O2 Optix contact lens.  I generally wear my lenses 12 to 14 hours each day.  I had been using the B&L Renu w/MoistureLoc without any issues for nearly a year when it was taken off the market.  I tried a couple different solutions and ended up using Opti-Free Replenish.  I choose Opti-Free because it did seem to make my lens more comfortable for a longer period of time and because they were specific that they were for silicone hydrogel lens.

Everything was fine for several months.  Then one day my eye’s were itchy and had a slight burning sensation.  When I went to take out the lens my eyes were completely red.

Not knowing what caused this but know I shouldn’t wear lens when my eye is irritated.  I did not wear lens for the next 5 days.  It took that long for the redness to disappear.

I cleaned my lens and put them in.  No problem at first, but within an hour my eye’s were itchy and  I had  a ring of redness around the iris.  Took the lens out and threw them away.  I threw out all of my lens cases.    Several days later, I opened a new pair of lens and put them in.  No problem all day.  That night I opened a new lens case, cleaned my contacts, put them into the new lens case with the Opti-free solution.  In retrospect I should have opened a new bottle of solution as well.  

The next morning, I put my contacts in without issue.  15 minutes later I could see the redness developing around the perimeter of the lens.  I removed the lens.

I threw out the opti-free, bought a new bottle of B&L Renu Multi-plus, cleaned my lens thoroughly with rubbing, rinse the case completely, and re-soaked my lens in this new solution.  

A couple of day later I tried the lens again.  Wore them all day, had a mild reaction.  

I concluded that I had become allergic to the Opti-free.  That there was residual Opti-Free in the lens themselves.  I threw out the lens and case.  Started again with a fresh pair of lens and a new case and continues to use the Renu solution.  Have been using this now for a month and a half without any trouble.  I should note that I had used this solution for years before switching to the O2 Optix lens.  

Is it reasonable to believe I developed an allergy to the Opti-Free?  On an e.pinion forum a user said that Renu Multi-plus should not be used with O2Optix.  Why not?
What other solutions are correct to use with O2 Optix?

Has Alcon had any issues or made any changes to Opti-free?  My bottle was from Lot: 138909F with and expiration of 2009/02.

This discussion is related to Red and irritated eyes???.
-3 Comments Post a Comment
-
I have been searching for someone else who has had a similar reaction to the Opti-Free Replinish solution that I've had.  I too had been using the Opti-Free for over a year and had absolutely no problems.  I then stopped wearing contacts for a period of about 6 months because I wasn't happy with the contacts and just decided to wait for a while.  

At my next eye appointment I was fitted for contacts and began wearing them and used the same kind of Opti-Free solution I had before.  About 1 week later, I took my contacts out at the end of the day and noticed that my left eye was red, and it was itchy and burning (not so much my right eye).  I went to my optometrist the next day and he said that I had the beginning of a couple of ulcers on my eye (?), prescribed me an antibiotic eye-drop solution and suggested I use it for 1 week.  (Note that the symptoms went away almost completely within 1 day, though I continued to use the drops for a week.)    

I did not wear my contacts again until a few days after I had stopped the medication.  After one day of wearing the contacts, I took them out that evening and noticed some irritation, though nothing severe, and put in some lubrication drops.  The next day, I woke up with some irritation still and my eye was bothering me the whole day--still nothing severe, and I woke up the next day with no problems.  

However, a week after this I tried wearing my contacts again.  While removing them I noticed that my eyes were very dry so I added some drops to make the contacts easier to remove.  About an hour later, my eyes were itching and burning, and within a few hours I had severe burning and sometimes stabbing pain, along with light sensitivity--I could barely keep my left eye open, and my right eye vision was blurry.  I actually went into the emergency room fearing that something must really be wrong.  I was told that I had corneal abrasions and possibly a viral infection, they gave me painkillers and antibiotic eye-drops and said I needed to see my optometrist ASAP.  

I went in the next morning, the doctor said "wow, this is an exquisite reaction", when he saw my eye.  He told me I was having a severe allergic reaction to something, most likely contact-related.  I've concluded that I am either allergic to the contacts themselves or the Opti-Free solution, more likely the solution.  Two days later here I am writing this with my left eye closed completely and my right eye barely open, thinking I may need to go back to my doctor sooner than my next appointment, which is still 2 days away.  

I am going to be quite wary of contacts from this point on and in fact may not wear them again, since I don't really know (nor does my doctor) what I'm allergic to exactly.  It might be time to get some nice new glasses and be done with this.

Also--I wear toric lenses, and my Opti-free solution was from lot: 117991F and expiration date of 2008/11.  Like I said I had been using it for a long time without problems and just recently developed this sensitivity.  I would says it's reasonable to assume you may have an allergy to Opti-free, since that seems to be the opinion of my doctor at this point, and it seems you have similar symptoms.  You may want to have your own doctor's opinion on that though.  
-
I read both yours and RickE's problems with Optifree Replenish and I have recently had the same issues.  I used CIBA Vision's Quick Care until they discontinued it a couple of years ago.  Luckily, my eye doctor had plenty of samples to give to me and I just recently ran out of Quick Care.  I wasn't sure what to use as I also have toric lenses.  My eye doctor told me to use Optifree Replenish and within 2 days, my contacts were foggy and my eyes were sensitive to light and painful.  I used it for about a week, then switched to Clear Care, but it didn't help.  Last night, I switched again (per my eye doctor) to Complete, but I still had the same problems.  I went to the eye doctor today to see if I had corneal ulcers/abrasions or if I permanently damaged my eyes.  Thankfully, I don't have ulcers or abrasions, however, there are some scratches on the cornea, which makes my eyes sensitive to light.  The eye doctor is going to do some research over the weekend, but he believes the Optifree Replenish stained the contact lenses.  He suggested I stay out of contact lenses for 2 days to let the scratches heal.  He recommends I switch the solution out (with Optifree Lasting Comfort) every few hours on the contacts in the hopes that it gets the staining out.  I am supposed to try the contacts again on day 3, but I have an old pair that I am soaking in Complete and I think I will put those contacts in on Monday morning.  I do not want to chance it.  I can't believe there isn't anything out there warning consumers about the dangers of contact lens compositions and certain lens cleaners.  Also, why aren't our optometrists educated more in this?  Sight is not something to be taken foregranted, especially for those of us with extreme myopia.
It was because of problems like yours that I switched to daily disposables (no solutions needed) and wear glasses as an overrefraction to correct residual myopia and astigmatism)
-