Eye Care Community
Lentis MPLUS - 6 weeks on
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lentis MPLUS - 6 weeks on

Hi,

Just wanted to briefly share my experience of having Lentis MPLUS multifocal lenses fitted 6&5 weeks ago. Cost £2550 at Optical Express UK (inc discount voucher).

My prescription was only +1.75 & +1.50 beforehand.

Natural daylight outdoors:
Reading - great
Intermediate - great
Distance - great (Driving is good but strangely clearer when using rear view mirrors!)

Indoors with natural light:
Reading - great
Intermediate - great
Distance - soft focus

Indoors (supermarkets, shop, pubs etc with non-natural light):
Reading - great
Intermediate - great
Distance - soft focus with glares from reflective objects - hard to focus on people's faces at 10m and beyond.

Dusk (outdoors - natural light):
Reading - great
Intermediate - great
Distance - soft focus/borderline blurred with glares from reflective objects - hard to focus on people's faces at 5m and beyond.

Night time:
Reading - Good
Intermediate - OK
Distance - extremely blurred - hard to focus on peoples faces at 4m and beyond - no Halo or starbursts but IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE.

Now this is where things are a bit weird... if i wake during the night (1-2am so it's obviously dark) and look out of the window everything is clear, no blurred/fuzzy vision & i can read car number plates 30+m with no halo or starbursts from street lights - totally opposite to before i went to bed in the same lighting conditions.   In fact i can go out and drive comfortably

I have noticed that vision is significantly better in the morning than later in the day.

I spoke to my opthamologist and asked for Pilocarpine drops to assist my night vision but he instead prescribed temp glasses for night driving (-0.5, -0.5) - hopefully i'll receive these in the next few days.

I'm NOW aware that it could take many more months for my eyes to adjust fully - i just wish that i had been given the FULL low down on what to expect with regards to the possibility of not being able to drive at night and for how long as i cannot work (HGV) until my eyes improve.  

You will notice that hardly any supplier of IOLs (if anyone at all) show pictures of how bad peoples vision can be after surgery while their eyes adjust - especially at night.

I am however, quietly confident that in a few months significant improvements will take place.

Just be aware folks !

Ian

Tags: Lentis, MPlus, Optical express, iol, low light, driving, night vision
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Discuss with your surgeon, their are some people that at night when the pupil dilates become more myopic ("night myopia')  It is possible the -1.00 might work better at night but no way to predict. Generally the test for glasses are done in dark room and the puil is dilated to the RX usually works fine at night.

JC MD
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
=
Blank
Well i took receipt of the -0.5, -0.5 spectacles..... whilst they do assist somewhat indoors  they make very little difference at night time - i tried to drive with them but felt at risk due to blurred vision and starbursts...i was definitely a risk to other road users.....and i'm considered a pro driver so used to night driving...

Maybe -1.0, -1.0 lenses would have been better?
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Discuss with your surgeon, their are some people that at night when the pupil dilates become more myopic ("night myopia')  It is possible the -1.00 might work better at night but no way to predict. Generally the test for glasses are done in dark room and the puil is dilated to the RX usually works fine at night.

JC MD
Blank
Thank you for your input JC - very encouraging to know... i shall discuss this with the surgeon as you suggest!

Thank you
Ian
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
=
Blank
Just thought i would update this thread...

Following a consultation with my surgeon who informed me that laser tweaking wasn't an option until after at least 5 months after RLE surgery he suggested i try contact lenses.

I've been testing various strength lenses but have found that 0.50 (L) & 0.75 (R)  have restored my night vision however, it has affected my nearfield vision (expected) but at this stage i'm just so happy to be able to walk into a bar and see peoples faces at 10m and beyond!  (and drive at night!!)

Just wondering why the spectacles didn't work as well given it's an almost identical prescription?

I can still read reasonably well but computer distance is somewhat strained - but an old pair of glasses resolve this..

I'm going to test this 'setup' for another month or so to be able to report back to the surgeon with a view to obtaining a permanent satisfactory outcome via laser surgery...

Regards
Ian
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949