Eye Care Expert Forum
Lesion near optic nerve?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Lesion near optic nerve?
I went to an optometrist for a routine eye exam, and she discovered something that looks like a black spot (lesion) near my right optic nerve. She ran an automated visual field test and found that my right eye shows evidence of a bitemporal defect in my visual field. This surprises me because I never noticed any problems with my field of vision. She didn't say anything about my intraocular pressure, so I assume it was normal. Any idea what this thing could be? I'll be seeing a neuro-opthalmologist in the next few days.

Here are the photos she took:
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q780/vortexpanel/myeyes_zpsf91e4b6d.jpg
The black spot could be benign pigment near the nerve, or a choroidal nevus which is a freckle under the retina.  A bitemporal defect, by definition, is a loss of the outer (temporal) field of vision in BOTH eyes, and usually points to a problem in the pituitary gland.  I completely agree, you should see a neuro-ophthalmologist.
Thanks, and sorry for the confusion. The optometrist did in fact find a temporal defect in BOTH eyes (bitemporal defect) with a Humphrey FDT.

I saw a general opthalmologist yesterday who gave me a thorough eye exam and said my eyes were completely healthy. He performed some basic visual field tests and found nothing abnormal, but didn't do the Humphrey FDT because my eyes were already dilated. He wants to redo the Humphrey test next week and see if the results can be duplicated.

I'm a little confused about the Humphrey results. Is it possible to have a large bitemporal defect in the Humphrey without corresponding blindness/loss of vision? Neither the optometrist nor the opthalmologist could detect any actual blindness. Is it possible the FDT was simply performed incorrectly?