Eye Care Expert Forum
Light sensitivity to fluorescent lights?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I sincerely hope that this is the best place to post this. Anyway, onwards with my question. Since I was about a teen, I've had some sort of light sensitivity. More often than not, it appears to be triggered by fluorescent lighting. Being at school, inside classrooms and gymnasiums is always a cause for pain. Prolonged exposure (usually within an hour and a half), results in me developing a migraine, and associated nausea.

I was wondering if there was a term for this other than just "light sensitivity," as I'm perfectly fine with natural sunlight. Also, any tips to help prevent fluorescent lights from acting as triggers? Can just wearing sunglasses help, and if so, what  qualities should I be looking for in sunglasses?
Dear ZBeth,

Your light sensitivity seems to be associated with your development of migraines and should be discussed with the EyeMD treating your condition.  Certain things can trigger migraines and should be avoided. Also, there are a host of medicines which now treat migraines so I would encourage you to pursue a visit to the doctor.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California 92121

I have experienced sensitivity to fluorescent lights for a long time now too, and it can be frustrating because few people seem to take it seriously.  I would ask you to consider a few questions.  

First, do you live in a sunny place, and if so, do you wear sunglasses regularly?  If you do live in such a place and do not wear sunglasses, the sunlight may be triggering the headaches (or maybe making you more prone to them) and the fluorescent lights taking you over the edge to a migraine.  I mention this because my optometrist recently stressed to me the importance of wearing sunglasses.  

My second question would be whether you are certain your eye glasses or contact lens prescription is correct?  Or if you are not wearing either, are you sure that you don't need a prescription?  

Third, you might ask your optometrist to check to see whether you have latent hyperopia which means that your eyes are compensating more than normal to see through your existing prescription (or just your own eyes) and making them weaker during the day as a result and more prone to light sensitivity.  
Thanks for the response, I'll definitely be looking into seeing a doctor at some point as the light problem appears to be rather persistent.

As for the questions, no. I don't really live in a sunny place, and I actually do not even own a pair of sunglasses. I'm perfectly fine with natural lighting. I've just found out that fluorescent lights, as well as dim or poor lighting conditions (such as at cinemas), tend to trigger the migraines. I know that one thing I really need to do is get a good pair of sunglasses.

As for eye prescriptions, I have not been to an optometrist recently. I went a few years ago and was told that I have 25/20 vision. I'm pretty sure that they're still okay, but a check up certainly wouldn't hurt. Specially if it'll help me prevent this stuff. Thanks again. :)
A related discussion, Light sensitivity to fluorescent lights was started.
A related discussion, fluorescent light sensitivity was started.