Eye Care Expert Forum
Limbal Relaxation Incision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Limbal Relaxation Incision
Hi there,
I was very short sighted (-1500) and strong astigmatism (400) on both eyes.  I just had cataract surgery and Limbal Relaxation Incision done on both of my eyes 4 weeks ago.  I just visited the optometrist yesterday and found out 1 eye the astigmatism is now half (200) and the other eye did not improve at all!  I have an appointment with the opthamologist next week.  It is frustrating and I am confused:

-why the procedure did not help my astigmatism
-should I get glasses with the new prescription before visiting the opthamologist

This is very frustrating because my job requires 100% computer work reading small numbers and it is straining my eyes now as I cannot see well.

Really appreciated with your advice.

Thanks.
THE LRI could have been too shallow or in the wrong position. Do not get glasses until you see the surgeon.  You might discuss lasik to reduce astigmatism or repeat LRI if you don't feel you can put up with something that you've had all or most of your life.
JCHMD
Yes, I just got the prescription:  now I am +100 far sighted and 200 reading for each eye; not to mention the astigmatism still strong for one eye and no change for the other eye.  It seems the measurement gone too far!  Very frustrating to see close.
get a second opinion. You may benefit from lasik on your cornea to improve vision without surgery.
JCH MD
I just had the follow-up and was told:

*everyone will get +100 far-sighted after cataract surgery
*I should be happy as I can see without glasses now
*the LRI may take up to 8 weeks to heal, astigmatism will reduce further then?!  Get another prescription in 2 weeks

Co-coincidently, there was a medical doctor had the same procedure done by same opthamologist (cataract and LRI), he carried his own eye chart.  He had the same complaint and very frustrated like me, could not see far or close; i.e. we could not function at work!  

I understand most patients that have cataract removed are older and retired, their requirements are different than people like me and the doctor that still need to function at work.  Wonder the calculation needs to be different for us, like the measurement leaves me -100 shortsighted instead.  I am not an eye doctor, just very disappointed at the LRI result, I still need glasses for far sighted, reading and astigmatism.  

Because of the both of our concerns, the opthamologist got defensive.  Anyway, I am trying to find a solution, so I won't get fired at work!  Since my job required working with numbers on the computer all day!

Thanks for your advices!