Eye Care Community
Local versus general anesthetic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Local versus general anesthetic

Does a local anesthetic for eye surgery promote faster healing of the eye versus a general anesthetic?

Sue
1.30.11
No difference for your eye.  However, there are more risks with general.  Topical probably has the lowest risk for cataract surgery.

Dr.O.
The safest anesthesia for cataract surgery is topical (i.e., eye drops).  Sometimes light sedation is also used with this method.  Local (i.e., injection) anesthesia carries more risks than the eye drops, and you'll go home wearing an eye patch (and maybe a black eye.)  General anesthesia involves the most risks.  In my opinion, it's always a good idea to ask in advance what will be used.
Thank you Dr. Oyakawa.

This is surgery to remove scar tissue again (2nd time) which developed during a detached retina healing time...where the macula has almost detached...

Don't think I would want to be awake if the retina detached completely again and I had to have the retina sewn back on and oil put in (again).

Sue
There's a good solution for you:  light IV sedation and local anesthesia.  You'll experience no pain, and you won't remember the procedure.   Much better (IMO) than general anesthesia, which sometimes has some unpleasant side effects.

I will ask the surgeon if I could go this route.

Thank you for  your input.

Sue

Jodie,
  The surgeon did say I would have drops and something that would be like 2 glasses of wine for the scar tissue removal.

In my opinion, 2 glasses of wine IV would not be enough to make me Not forget....I think I would be awake....

Is this what you meant by 'light sedation?'

Sue
You will be able to express your wishes to your anesthesia provider before surgery.  The level of sedation can definitely be adjusted to meet your needs, and the surgery team will want you to be comfortable.  But I think that IV sedation is a much better option than general anesthesia, i.e., being unconscious and needing a breathing tube.  (I experienced no pain at all during two retinal surgeries with local anesthesia, and I don't think that you will either.)
Jodie,

I appreciate so much your information.  The surgeon did not mention this to me.  Only the drops and me laying very still during the procedure......I do not think I could handle that.  This has been going on since April of 2010....and it has been a very stressful time, as you know...

Thank you again for your professional opinion and information.

Sincerely,
Sue

Jodie,
One more comment:

I had 2 teeth removed last year. (rough year).  I did have an IV and they put a mask over my nose before I went under.  But that was in an oral surgeon's office and not a hospital.  I don't believe I had a breathing tube.
Would this have been an IV sedation and Local?

Sue
1.30.11
You would not have a breathing tube with IV sedation.  It sounds like you had IV sedation and local at your oral surgeon's.