Eye Care Community
Long term effects of eye drops and 3rd opinion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Background, I've had 4 eye surgeries for detatched retina (left eye) plus at the time of my last eye surgery I had a catarac removed. I now have Glaucoma as a result of all this. After my last eye surgery I was told that I'll never have full use of my eye plus I still have a partial detatchment that's been stable now for 10 months. I still have oil in my eye. I'm using 3 types of eyedrops daily for eye pressure
Azopt 2x day
Combigan 2x day
Xalatan 1x at night (makes my eyelashes longer?)

What are the long term effects of using these eye drops? I didn't have an eye pressure problem until after my last eyesurgery (Dec07) which was a combination of reattachment of my retina plus I had a catarac removed. last year I had 3 surgeries in 3 months. At my last Doctor visit I was told there's a leakage going into my pupil and may need laser surgery to correct... but the Doctor doesn't seem to think it's too urgent.
I'm also wondering if I should try for a 3rd opinion as my last eye surgery is a result of a 2nd opinion. I would like to think there is still some hope. I do have peripheral vison and can kinda see through the gray curtain..
You are on all four major glaucoma drops. There are no serious long term side effects to being on those meds. You must have pretty severe glaucoma.

Yes I wwould get a third opinion. Find one at www.aao.org

Yes Lumigan, Xalatan and Travatan make eyelashes grow thick and long. Lumigan is being marketed as "Lumilash" for cosmetic reasons for just this purpose.

JCH MD
Now I can make my right eyelash match the left! Left looks longer because the eye is smaller.
Lumilash by Allergan (I don't think its on the market yet).

JCH MD
Be careful about the validity of second and third opinions.They all support each other, naturally. All the doctors I consulted were in Texas, because I wanted to find one close by.Maybe that's the problem. A second opinion also gave me bad advice about the n------e retinologist I was seeing. And the second opinion was at a university hospital.
The second second opinion did back me up on which procedure to try next (surgery #6?). A doctor in my city wanted to take the oil out and put in a gas bubble. I told him no, that the oil was holding my eye together. The doctor in Dallas backed me up and said that more silicone oil was a possibility.

I figured a lot out about the practice where I had been going. They did was they needed to do to get by, and no more. After all, medicare was my primary insurance.

Enough about me. I am sorry you have the glaucoma. I remember it after your last surgery. I am like you, I will not give up. I can see, however, that scar tissue in the periphery is closing in .

I have thought about you, I hope things go well.
-