Eye Care Expert Forum
Loss of 60% vision after vitrectomy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Loss of 60% vision after vitrectomy

Sinse birth i am very myopic witch stabilized age 23 (-14 both eyes)I 2 weeks after refractive surgery (Artiflex AC IOL) i notice new floaters and light flashes in my right eye and ii was diagnosed with a retinal tear and did laser to seal it. 4 weeks later i had a sudden appearance of floaters and lots of light flashes in my right eye again and went to ER diagnosed with another retinal tear and did laser again One week later a started notice a small wave in the bottom of my right eye and again to the ER and diagnosed with a giant retinal tear at 12h and a small/medium retinal detachment. I was sent to a retina specialist and had my visual acuity test winch was the same in both eyes. I had vitrectomy and sceralbuckle and my right eye was filled with silicone oil. After 3 months of my vitrectomy i went back to the retina specialist to remove the oil. Visual actuty with silicone oil and using the pinhole test was about 60%. When i removed the oil my vision remained bad. The retina specialist told me that i already had cataract induced by silicone oil witch had to be removed in the near future). 2 weeks after removing silicone oil i noticed increase in flashes and a small wave in upper corner of my right eye and again i went to the ER and diagnose another RD but not in the same place as the one before. Again back to the retina specialist who told me that this new detachment was due to vitreous gel still in the eye, according to him it is very difficult to remove all vitreous gel. Next day i had surgery with removal of Artiflex AC IOL facoemulsification vitrectomy and endolaser. After this surgery my vision is 20%.
1 - Doctors say the AC Artiflex IOL had nothing to do with de RDs a dout it because it was only 2 weeks after that surgery.
2000 char limit i will post the remaining questions next
It is not likely that the AC-IOL surgery was associated with the retinal tears, but possible. You are a very high myope and could have developed the retinal tears even without surgery. It is possible that the reason for the decreased central vision and color vision is due to macular edema (fluid in the macula), or a macular surface membrane, which would be detected by the OCT. Depending on your age and the status of the vitreous, it can be difficult to remove all adherent vitreous strands. Some surgeons are starting to use an enzyme to assist in this process of vitreous separation before surgery. You have had a lot of surgery, and 2 months is a relatively short time post-op. The photoreceptor abnormality may improve with time. See your retina specialist often, and obtain a second opinion if needed. Also, if the posterior capsule of the lens was retained at the time of cataract surgery (standard practice in phaco), the capsule may be getting hazy and need a YAG laser in the future.
2 - My vision was good prior to vitrectomy and very poor after why would that happen whem my macula was not detached?
3 - Right now i noticed i have good peripheral vision but not good central vision why? (macula was not affected).
4 - I dont have good color perception on my central vision but i do on my peripheral why?
5 - OCT shows a deformation on photoceptor line why? doctor says it might get better with time.
6-  At time of 1st vitrectomy i dint want to regain or restore vision i ONLY wanted to keep the one i had at that moment how is possible to lose so much vision?
7 -Is it so hard to remove all the vitreous?
8- will my vision improve with time (im now almost 2 mouths after 2nd RD)