Eye Care Expert Forum
Loss of Color in Half my Iris

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Loss of Color in Half my Iris

I noticed this morning that something about my right eye seemed different. Upon closer examination I realized that half of my Iris appeared to have lost its color. Instead of it being brown with black lines half appear a to be hazy clear with a grayish color. I also saw that when I focused in on that eye that my Iris appeared to slide so that only a quarter appeared clear and when I relaxed my focus that it returned to half of my Iris being clear. It seems best comparable to the waning and waxing of the moon. I have not noticed any change in my left eye or any loss of vision. The only other information which my be relevant is I am 20 years old and wear glasses for reading only.

Thank you for reading or responding.

-James
You need to be examined by an eye MD/ophthalmologist.  There are multiple causes of iris heterochromia and it needs to be evaluated.

HV
Is it something that has to be addressed right away? I've made an appointment with my doctor earlier today but it's not until January(earliest available).