Eye Care Community
Loss of vision in left eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Loss of vision in left eye

My wife was hospitalized for her gout flaring up on her right ankle in CT. She was admitted on a Thursday for the pain by her Dr. 24hrs later after her admission the left side of her face swelled up and her eye was completely shut. After 4 days in the hospital and no change in her swelling she was transferred to another hospital in Boston, Mass were she was a patient for 16 days. They took care of the swelling, but she lost her vision to her left eye. I've spoken to numerous doctors about this and they don't understand why she would have permanent eye loss. An eye Dr. saw her and told us that she has permanent eye loss due to her optic nerve damage. I don't agree with the evaluation, so I'm looking for another opinion and someone that can help her get her vision back. Also do you think it was negligence on the hospital's part, they told us that she got a staff infection.
Sorry to learn of your wife's misfortune. You can chose another ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for another opinion. You can go to the website of the American Academy of Ophthalmology  www.aao.org and use the Find An Eye MD feature to find an ophthalmologist in your geographic area, if you wish you can also search for a subspecialist such as a retina ophthalmologist or a neuro-ophthalmologist.

There are many other explanations of such a problem other than negligence. If she had a staphloccus infection and it got in the blood (sepsis) it could have gone to the eye. Your wife could have also had an unrelated second event or health issue in the hospital like a blood clot in the main artery or vein in the eye, or a problem called ischemic optic neuritis that is very common especially in those over 60.

JCH III MD  Eye Physician & Surgeon