Aa
A
A
Close
Lost all hope for red eye!
Hi, I'm 32 yrs old F, and was diagnosed 5yrs ago with episcleritis in my left eye. It started when I was 4 mths pregnant with my daughter and to this day my left eye acts up once a month right around my menses. My eye gets blood shot red, very painful and I get headaches.I have to use steroid drops when I have a flare up.  People stare at me and ask if I have pink eye!! I want to know if anyone out there has heard of this. I have had several blood tests done and everything comes up normal. I'm so frustrated because this problem runs my life once a month, help!!
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233488 tn?1310696703
1. See an ophthalmologist that specializes in cornea/external diseases near you.
2. Ask that Eye MD or your family MD to refer you to a rheumatologist to exclude an underling disease that is causing this. You may also need oral anti-inflammatories.
3. Yes this is a  rather common history for episcleritis/scleritis.

JCH MD
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Dear Dr. Hagan,

Thank you for your response. I have been seeing a ophthamologist that specializes in eye diseases. I have had numerous tests done, and have seen a rheumatologist and an endocrinologist. Now since this happens once a month and right after my period ends, I am assuming that this is a hormonal thing. Very Frustrating!! :( Thanks again for your response.

DG
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
As the doctor says, this seems to be kind of normal--in an abnormal way!

Take a look at this link discussing a connection between episcleritis and the monthly cycle:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21394023
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
233488 tn?1310696703
-
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources