Eye Care Community
Lost all hope for red eye!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lost all hope for red eye!

Hi, I'm 32 yrs old F, and was diagnosed 5yrs ago with episcleritis in my left eye. It started when I was 4 mths pregnant with my daughter and to this day my left eye acts up once a month right around my menses. My eye gets blood shot red, very painful and I get headaches.I have to use steroid drops when I have a flare up.  People stare at me and ask if I have pink eye!! I want to know if anyone out there has heard of this. I have had several blood tests done and everything comes up normal. I'm so frustrated because this problem runs my life once a month, help!!
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
1. See an ophthalmologist that specializes in cornea/external diseases near you.
2. Ask that Eye MD or your family MD to refer you to a rheumatologist to exclude an underling disease that is causing this. You may also need oral anti-inflammatories.
3. Yes this is a  rather common history for episcleritis/scleritis.

JCH MD
Blank
Dear Dr. Hagan,

Thank you for your response. I have been seeing a ophthamologist that specializes in eye diseases. I have had numerous tests done, and have seen a rheumatologist and an endocrinologist. Now since this happens once a month and right after my period ends, I am assuming that this is a hormonal thing. Very Frustrating!! :( Thanks again for your response.

DG
Blank
As the doctor says, this seems to be kind of normal--in an abnormal way!

Take a look at this link discussing a connection between episcleritis and the monthly cycle:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21394023
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources