Eye Care Expert Forum
Macula Off Detachment?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macula Off Detachment?

I have a question if the retina detaches at the macula what are the causes of going completely blind from it? When reattached would some vision come back?

I know that flashes of light are a sign of a detachment but I've been seeing not flashes but kinda a ball of light that will float in the bottom of my vision and then disappear and reappear later. could this be a sign of either a detachment or a tear in the retina?
First, it is imperative to see an EyeMD ophthalmologist right away to see what is going on.  There are many possible causes of your problem and many of them are quite serious including retinal hemorrhage, macular degeneration, retinal tear or detachment, vitreous hemorrhage.  Macula off detachments can regain useful, but usually not normal vision.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Have had surgery to help clear the tear ducts in both eyes. This was about 2 years ago -but I find that the tears run down the side of my face - but how is this -if the tear ducts are clear -and I know they are - why do the tears not run into the ducts?? It is a most irritating codition - has anyone else had this problem??