Eye Care Community
Macular Degeneration in young adult with high myopia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Macular Degeneration in young adult with high myopia

I have been dx with macular degeneration and got a shot (off label) of Avastin. Even though it was 5 days ago, I already see improvement. I caught it really early, I didn't have any blind spot, only distortion and a spot visible only when I blink several times in a row. My vision is great as it is right now.

But because I am 34 I am concerned with the outcome. After the initial shots, how often people have to take them? Am I looking for taking these shots for the rest of my life? Is my prognostics really bad? How about my other eye (also have high myopia on it), what are the chances it's going to show the same problem? Should I take vitamins for the eye? Is there anything else I can do to help with it? What are the side effects of Avastin? Does it cause systemic side effects? I do have HBP which I control with meds. Can I get pregnant while taking the shots?

Thank you very much for your time!