Macular Degeneration in young adult with high myopia
I have been dx with macular degeneration and got a shot (off label) of Avastin. Even though it was 5 days ago, I already see improvement. I caught it really early, I didn't have any blind spot, only distortion and a spot visible only when I blink several times in a row. My vision is great as it is right now.

But because I am 34 I am concerned with the outcome. After the initial shots, how often people have to take them? Am I looking for taking these shots for the rest of my life? Is my prognostics really bad? How about my other eye (also have high myopia on it), what are the chances it's going to show the same problem? Should I take vitamins for the eye? Is there anything else I can do to help with it? What are the side effects of Avastin? Does it cause systemic side effects? I do have HBP which I control with meds. Can I get pregnant while taking the shots?

Thank you very much for your time!

Use the archives and search feature to read about previous discussions of your questions. Yes repeat injections is the rule. Both eyes are at high risk. Read the sections on agre related macular degeneration and follow those suggestions to try and keep your macular healthy. HPB can make worse, keep under good control.

Each surgeon will have different rules about use of Avastin in a pregnant femaile. Discuss with yours.

JCH MD