Eye Care Community
Macular Edema loss of sight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Macular Edema loss of sight

I was diagnosed with a cystoid macular edema following cataract surgery. Four months later and my consultant says he can't find any more evidence of it - it's gone. However, my sight is still poor and he said unlikely to get much better.

So why is that? What has changed in my eye to be left with such poor sight afterwards? Is there anything else at all that can be done?

Brief history:
- Sight was 0.26logMAR (20/36 Snellen doing a mathematical conversion)
- Peaked at 1.24 (20 (20/348)
- Now at 0.8 (20/126)
- Treated with Acular, Maxidex, and also Lumigan to keep pressures down
- 3 months into treatment my eye pressure spiked at 53mmHg but was brought back down with Timolol, Iopidine, Diamox, and by stopping the Maxidex (steroid). Pressure stable again at 12-14mmHg on average.
- Now on Timolol (2x a day) and Acular (4x a day) only
- Also have coloboma of the retina in both eyes
- Currently experiencing blurred central vision with double/triple vision (with the other eye closed) so high contrast items show a lighter copy above and below the "real" item. Lights at night are particularly bad as they blur/merge into a kaleidoscope of light.
- My other eye is (and always has been) nearly blind.

What is the evidence it is gone?  Has he done an OCT or a flourescein angiogram?  

Dr. O.

Dr. O.
Yes, OCT scans have been done. Back in October it showed a clear lump where there should have been a slight dip and the latest shows no lump. However, due to the coloboma it's not easy for them to get an OCT - they have to manually override it to look up and over the coloboma instead of straight in through the pupil. The doc got more information out of the live video feed while they were trying to locate the macular than they were able to capture in a snapshot. I have been described as "special", "unique", and "difficult" at various times!

No fluoro angiagram has been done; I don't know that they do that here.