Eye Care Community
Macular Hole - High Myopia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Macular Hole - High Myopia

I am a 45 female (UK) with very high myopia -23 in each eye (lazy left eye).  I was diagnosed with a macular hole in the right eye in September 2012 and had a vitrectomy with ILM peel and lens removal in November.  I was face-down for ten days and the gas bubble is now quite small  (10 weeks). C3F8 was used.  have recently I found out that the hole has not closed and I am to have another op soon to put  heavy oil in the eye.  I have done s lot of research and it appears that a second op can work with oil in high myopes.  The surgeon said it was unusual for the op not to work and said it was down to the myopia.

I am interested to hear individuals' experiences of similar situations and perhaps, a medical opinion.  It is all bitter-sweet as the lens change has now bought me to a -3 appx but I can't fully enjoy it although I am pleased with what I can see despite  the distortion!  

I have read a lot of postings on this forum with interest,  and I am amazed at what some people have gone through.  I have never heard of most of the problems that can happen with high myopia.  I have obviously been lucky up until now as I have never really had any problems before...
I had a vitrectomy and ILM peel to fix a macular hole 2 years ago,also had the 10 days face down and a gas bubble,although i don't have myopia,i am quite long sighted.
The hole has closed successfully and all the distortion is gone but i do have a slight blurry patch where the hole was,but i can live with that.
I have now developed a cataract and will be getting that removed in a few weeks time,i am a bit nervous about  that but i know it has to be done.
Good luck with your op,i hope all goes well for you.
Your surgeon is correct.

Dr. O
Thanks for your reply.
Thanks Cathie, good luck with the cataract op.  Hopefully, you have been through the worst bit and this will be the end!
I forgot to say that I also have a posterior stapyloma.  I have read that this combined with my level of prescription and a macular hole do nit make for a successful outcome.