Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular Hole Spontaneous Closure?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular Hole Spontaneous Closure?

Hi i am and 18 year old female and exactly 12 days ago, i accidentally got hit in my right eye with a tennis ball (it was thrown by hand). Anyway my eye was really red and it hurt badly to the point i couldnt keep it open, but when i did have it open, i noticed my vision was blurry, i seemed as though i had dark spots right in my central vision. My regular doctor told me that it was normal bruising because of the impact of the tennis ball, he gave me some eye drops and that was it. Exactly  one week after the accident, i went to see an ophthalmologist because my vision had not improved and i was scared that it might be something more serious. Well i was right, the doctor told me, you have a macular hole and i will send you over to another eye clinic where they specialize with these kind of problems. He told me that the only way to correct this was surgery): So 4 days later i was with another doctor, & they took more OCTs of my eye. These were his exact words: Well, it seems to me like you have the worlds smallest macular hole, have you felt like your vision has improved since the accident? and i told him that it had because i felt like it did improve just a bit. He then told me that he thought there was a good chance that my macular hole could close on its own and he felt it was too small to operate on it so he asked me to go back in a couple of weeks. I've read that 50% of stage 1 macular holes close spontaneously but i dont even know if im in that stage 1 category?! Its been 12 days since the accident and my question is, if my macular hole were to heal up on its own, how long would it take? weeks? months?
Tags: Macular HOle, spontaneous closure, surgery
You have a traumatic macular hole.  Those have a higher chance of closing on their own.  I would get a repeat OCT 4 weeks after the first one and see if it is closing.  If it hasn't improved by 8 weeks after the injury, then surgery could start to be discussed.

HV