Eye Care Community
Macular Hole Surgery recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Macular Hole Surgery recovery

I was diagnosed today with macular hole grade III in my right eye..The ophtalmologyst indicated that ,after surgery, a face down period of ten days was required,I had done some research previously on the topic and found that this period may vary widely from a few days to a few weeks depending on the physician. I can not understand how it is possible to have such a wide range of variance in the treatment of a relatively common medical procedure.
Is it based on the physician's personal experience? Should it not be based on medical statistical data? n
Some surgeon do not recommend face down.  There are many ways to do any surgery and no right way.  Some peel the internal limiting membrane and some do not.  Some use ICG dye (potential retina toxicity) and other do not.

You need to follow the post op protocol of the surgeon you choose.

Dr. O.