Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular Hole did not close

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular Hole did not close
My 70 year old mom had surgery On Oct 13 to close a macular hole. She was going to have cataract surgery and  that is when they discovered she had the hole. She was told to stay face down for 5 days which she did. ( i was with her the entire time).  She went back last week and was told that the hole did not close and that she must have surgery again.  She thinks she may have had the hold for possibly two years. Questions:
What are the chances this will work?

Should she get a second opinion/

How long can she wait before having the second surgery?  She wants to wait till after Christmas and they don't want her to wait.

I do not think you need a second opinion unless you feel a need for it. Inability to close a macular hole the first time is not an uncommon problem. I would go with your retina surgeon's recommendation on timing as postponement may allow the hole to open further and get wider and accumulate more fluid and further impair vision and make it harder to fix.

JCH III MD

JCH III MD
Thanks for the feedback.  Do you know the success rate for the second surgery (if face down is followed)  Also, her doctor said there was no advantage of being face down for longer than 5-7 days.  Does it improve your chances if you stay face down longer?  Thank you!

I had Vitrectomy surgery in mid-July for a macular hole and I was asked to be Face-down for 10 days following the surgery. The surgery was a sucess and the hole has been "patched". There is a slight "dull" spot where the surgeon fixed the hole but I don't notice it as I have developed a cataract in that eye.
Hope this helps;
I don't know the exact figure because it would vary from surgeon to surgeon and will depend on the size of the hole. It IS a legitimate question to ask the retina surgeon.

JCH III MD