Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular Hole or Membrane?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular Hole or Membrane?
A  friend has had vision problems.  She saw an ophthamologist who diagnosed a hole in the macular and suggested surgery immediately.  She got a second opinion from a top opthamologist who told her that it was a membrane issue and to come back in 3 months for further evaluation.  I think she needs a third opinion.  Can you explain why the big difference in diagnosis?  

Also if you could recommend an excellent person in the New York area in an institution other than New York Eye and Ear it would be most appreciated.
An epiretinal membrane can give the appearance of a macular hole (pseudohole).  An OCT (Optical Coherent Tomography) should be able to differentiate between the 2 conditions.  I would have your friend see a retina specialist.  
Thank you very much for the clarification.