Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular Hole

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular Hole
I had surgery for full thickness macular hole x 2 at 6 week intervals. 1st surgery 5 weeks after hole developed. Failed closure and now 3 months after second surgery with ILM peel. A second retina surgeon has offered the idea of a 3rd procedure but odds of success are limited.
What options do I have? The hole is larger since the surgeries and I would guess that spontaneous closure is unlikely. Is there much experience using stem cells (either fetal or autologous marrow source)?
Dear closecover,

At this stage, stem cell therapy is not yet advanced enough for clinical use and proven to be beneficial.  I would however, ask your retinal specialist.  If you want another opinion, please go to AAO.org www site to the find an eyeMD section.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California