Eye Care Community
Macular Pucker

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Macular Pucker

I had an ERM peel to correct a macular pucker.  Now I am seeing a large but very faint floater like object.  But, it is not a floater because it is always in the same place and covers most of the lower half of my field of view.  It looks like bare branches of a Christmas tree .  It is most visible when I wake up in the mornings a quickly fades as my pupil dilates.  After that, I usually can not see it when focused on distant objects but, in certain lightening, I can see a very faint image covering the words on a printed page.

Also, while my pupil is dilated, I can see the reverse negative image when I close my eye.

Is this damage from the surgical instruments, the surgery light or from pulling the membrane from the macula?

Thank you

Keith
Not at all likely. Many others that have had this type of surgery report similiar or much worse problems related to the ERM not the surgery itself. Use the search feature and archives to read these helpful posts. The ones by JodieJ are extremely helpful. Also discuss with your surgeon.

JCH MD
Is this a permanent condition?
There is no way to tell, generally by 6 months things are stable and you can say "this is the final result of surgery" (this assumes nothing new develops).
JCH MD