Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular Pucker

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular Pucker
I have been diagnosed with this condition and the doctor recomended surgery. I have been told that a realistic expectation would be a 50% restoration of the lossed vision. Research tells me however that sometimes the scar tissue causing the pucker seperates from the retina and the pucker clears up on its own. My question is how likely is it that the condition clears up on its own and if it does what is the likely result in vision improvement? Also, what, if anything is the risk of postponing surgery and waiting for this condition to heal by itself?
Dear Jack886,

I would recommend that you ask your eyeMD these questions.  A retinal specialist who performs this surgery is better able to assist you.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

As far as I know, there's no credible evidence that a macular pucker (aka epiretinal membrane, epimacular membrane) disappears on its own.  Most cases don't affect vision much, so they don't require surgery.  How much vision is restored by surgery depends on a number of factors, including the surgeon's skills and the presence/absence of macular edema.

One of the very best vitreoretinal surgeons is Dr. Steve Charles of Memphis, Tennessee.  There is more information about macular puckers on his website.  You can contact him through his website, and he will respond personally to your specific concerns.  There is also a good article about epimacular membranes on emedicine.