Macular degeneration and bright light ?
  For years I have been telling eye docs that my eyes were great prior to building a race car at age 38 and not using goggles while arc and MIG welding- from that time on I had to quit baseball because I couldn't see the ball
well any longer as well as had my golf handicap go from 6 to 14 due to poor distance judgement as well as not being able to even follow the golf ball at times when struck. I was repeatedly told that it was just natural aging and only coincidence that I noticed it following the welding . Now at age 55 computer images and pictures show definate signs of Macular degeneration ( first time diagnosed )  For the first time I have been told that too much exposure to sunlight and bright lights are a contributing factor. Sunlight never bothered me ( till after welding ) and I played baseball and golf and never used sunglasses and both the tech and doc said that was not healthy .

Is this now proven or just speculation on this doctors part ???

Could I have damaged part of the retina or macula at age 38 welding that didnt show up on exams??

Immediately following the welding I became light sensative- yet had terrible night vision as well as color blind with darker colors-

UV light is a contributing factor for AMD.  However, I doubt the arc welding accelerated your AMD. The cornea would have become painful from the uv (snow blindness).  

Dr. O.