Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular hole - vision improvement?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular hole - vision improvement?

I was diagnoed with a stage 2 macular hole and had victrectomy with gas bubble 5 weeks a go.  Before surgery I saw vitical lines with a kind of 'waist'  where they seemed to converge in together and print seemed smaller and squashed up togeth in the middle.  I could not even see the top letter of the sight chart - it was so distorted. Now, with the gas bubble quite small at the bootom of my vision, I was expecting to be able to read and not have this strange convergence of lines, but that is not the case. Everything is still distorted.
Does this mean that this is the vision I am stuck with now or will this improve? Does it mean the hole did not close? I do not go back to the hospital for 5 weeks and my surgeon does not like to answer questions. I would be happy to hear some advice or other experiences.
Recovery time can be variable depending how long the hole was present, any other ocular issues (cataract, dry eye) or refractive error requiring glasses for further improvement.  In terms of anatomical success with closure of the macular hole, this can be confirmed with OCT imaging.
I Had detached retina repaired in 4/10 with the vitrectomy, gas bubble and laser. 8/10 I had the cataract removed on the same eye. 12/10 I had a membrane peel. It was almost a year after the first procedure that my vision improved to 20/40 in that eye. So the healing process is slow but the folks on this site have been a tremendous help and encouragement to me. So try to be patient and follow your doctor’s orders. Take care
Thanks for the replies.  
The hole was present for 6 months and I know I will find out for sure if it has closed when I go to the opthalmology dept. but I just wondered what I should be seeing by now.  I am just concerned that my vision is still as distorted as it was before the vitrectomy and wondered if this was normal.  What I find particularly distressing is that the 'bad' eye is trying to work with the other one and so I am seeing a blurred distorted image which makes reading etc. difficult (as can be seen from my awful typing in my 1st post!)